Outcast Forever

Several weeks passed after my trip to Endless. On the home front, everyone at school thought I was dating James, and he wasn't helping by not leaving me alone. With my face buried in my math textbook, I awaited the bell to ring for lunch. Maybe things would be better if I had a friend here in Dubuque? I really hoped I could find someone more down to earth than James, however. The bell finally rang and I went to the water fountain, but when I turned it on, it sprayed right at me- right at my pants, actually. Really? Was the world out to get me?

"Heh, pee-pants!" A boy walked past me, giggling. I ran to my locker. When I opened it, I nearly screamed. The necklace with the shells was there, but I never brought it to school! I ran straight into the cafeteria. Suddenly, everyone started laughing at me. Right... the pants. I sat myself at a corner table as quickly as possible. James sat down.

"You know, if you need a friend, I'm here," he said. I opened my lunch and nearly screamed again: the necklace was there.

"I need to go to the bathroom, actually..." I said. I ran out of the cafeteria and found a thankfully empty girls' room. I held the key up, but nothing happened.

"Uh. Take me to Endless?" Suddenly the yellow field enveloped me and I arrived at the landing spot, in my thankfully dry Endless outfit.

"KAILEIGH! WE THOUGHT YOU WERE GONE FOREVER!" Doctor Champion rolled up and handed me more milk.

"Can I at least have a cup?" To my disdain he handed me a shoe instead, and poured the milk into it. I had nothing to lose, so I drank. Wait, why was the milk cold? How was the milk cold?

"Ah, Doctor Champion!" A guitar riff played and an incredibly handsome man appeared, however after a second, I noticed he was half dog. Doctor Champion jumped on his back.

"Ah, and who are you, new girl?" He asked.

"Kaileigh." I said.

"I'm Endless' best musician, Guy Pleasant, and you've met my boyfriend, Doctor Champion."

"WOOF!" screamed Doctor Champion.

"I love you, too." Says Guy. "Would you like to ride on my fluffy dog back, Kaileigh?"

"Can you take me somewhere I can chill for a bit?" I ask.

"I know just the guys!" I hopped on Guy, behind Doctor Champion. As we walked, I took in a few details about Endless- like that the spire off the shore was actually a terrifying waterslide. Suddenly, the trees gave way to an opening into the island. Then I realized what I was looking at- this section of the island was torched.

"What happened here?" I asked.

"That's the damage from the Buttwitch's final gambit," Guy replied.

"Many years ago, the Buttwitch gained an unimaginable power, and she breathed fire across Endless, but she was stopped by the great hero, Seventeen."

"I keep hearing that name, Seventeen. Where is she?" I ask.

"I don't remember. I remember seeing her one time after the Buttwitch was put into hibernation, but that's it." Guy said.

"So, she's a kid, right? Not one of you... islanders?"

"Yes. From Iowa, if I recall."

I thought about how weird that was to myself- what if I knew this girl?

"Do... other kids come here?"

"I can only remember Seventeen and Candi," Guy says. "Now, welcome to the home of Mack and Beefhouse!" Guy stopped in front of an admittedly cute cottage.

"Guy Pleasant, Doctor Champion! And you brought Kaileigh!" Beefhouse exited his home, wearing a 'kiss the cook' apron. Mack then walked out, giving Beefhouse a peck on the cheek.

"So what are we doing here?" I ask.

"Yoga!" Mack says.

"I'm not sure if I'm into yoga," I reply.

"Nonsense! Yoga is good for you, and anyone can do it!" I decided to give in to him.

After half an hour, the yoga routine ended, and admittedly, I felt calmer.

"I don't want to go back to school," I accidentally said out loud.

"School is where you learn everything!" Guy said.

"Who told you that?" I almost laughed.

"Doctor Champion. Where did you say you heard that?" Guy asked.

"A FRIEND! BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER WHO!" Doctor Champion replied.

"All that aside, you should get back to your life, Kaileigh." Mack said. I took out the necklace.

"Okay. Bye, I guess." I held the key up, and returned to the bathroom. "Guess I'll go back to lunch." I said to myself. When I got there, however, it was empty. What?

"Kaileigh! There you are!" My art teacher came up behind me.

"Where's everyone at? It's lunchtime, right?" I asked.

"Kaileigh, it's not lunch. We've been looking for you for two hours!"

"Two hours!?" I screamed. "I think I need to go to the nurse," I said.

I got out of trouble by using the thing that happened with my pants as an excuse, and the end of the day arrived. I was now on the bus, with James, of course, and the highschoolers were getting on. Emily arrived right on schedule.

"Hey, I heard you peed yourself and hid in the bathroom for two hours today!" She mocked. Who told her that already? She receded, laughing with the rest of the bus. It was official; I'd never have friends, and it came at the worst time in my life. I had to show someone Endless. I think I time traveled today. As the bus jerked away from the school, I realized that I did technically have someone I could show Endless. I just really wasn't certain about it.

"James, can I show you something after school tomorrow?" I gritted my teeth.

"Yes!" I'm so glad you finally asked! Does this mean we are friends!?" He was still too excited.

"How about... acquaintances?" I said.

"Okay!" He replied.

To Be Continued In: James Forever