No place I rather be

• Dedicated to the fans who waited

"Caroline." Klaus called out after several minutes of silence.

He had been watching the blonde pace back and forth in his room while shooting him glances that were a mix of confusion, anger and uncertainty. The patience he tried so hard to uphold was running out and the calm expression on his face covered over a chaos of emotions.

"You... you killed Jenna in the sacrifice." Caroline stated with a small stutter and stood still for only a second before she started moving again. "And Elena and Jules. Actually, Jules is fine. She was a bitch."

Klaus' brow rose in surprise and he did his best to hide a smile at Caroline's unwilling display of humor.

"I did." was all the hybrid said and kept quiet as he waited for Caroline to continue. He didn't know if she was going to mention every bad thing he had done, but at least she was talking.

"And it's your fault Stefan and Elena broke up." she then accused him with a pointed finger and Klaus frowned in confusion. Was this really what she chose to focus on?

"Pardon me, love. I'm not sure I follow." Klaus told her as he took a step closer to her and Caroline immediately stilled.

"You made Stefan go all Ripper. And now he's here?! You're friends!" the blonde exclaimed while gesturing her hands wildly. With a heavy sigh she then turned her back on him, only to spin back around the next moment.

"You killed Tyler's mom and twelve of your own hybrids all in one night!" Caroline continued and to his surprised she didn't seem angry. But there was a disappointed look in her eyes that Klaus hated. "And I killed twelve people."

"Caroline..." Klaus tried as he noticed the pained expression on her face, but she held up her hands to stop him from coming closer.

"And you slept with Hayley of all people and had freaking baby! And I hated you but then I didn't. I mean in Spain we almost-" Caroline rambled on but interrupted herself as she realized what she was about to say. Klaus looked at her expectantly and this time he was unable to hide the smirk on his lips.

"Shut up." Caroline mumbled at him and a small smile tugged at her lips as well. The tension in her body was already slowly leaving and she found herself thinking of their last time together. A time where she had been dangerously close to actually falling in love with the hybrid.

"I didn't say anything." Klaus replied amusedly and watched with curiosity how Caroline suddenly became serious once more.

"You always said so much." Caroline said with a thoughtful voice and she stepped closer until she was right in front of him. "You always use such big words."

There was a long silence between them as they both thought back to one particular moment. However long it takes, indeed. Caroline then let out a heavy sigh and she looked to the floor with what almost seemed like shame.

"I left you." Caroline stated apologetically and Klaus couldn't stop himself from reaching out and pulling her closer.

Her head rested on his shoulder as he stroked her hair soothingly and Klaus found himself being confused as to how they had ended here. Gently, he grabbed her shoulders and pushed her out of his embrace to look at her closely.

"I expected you to be mad at me, love." he told her with a frown and Caroline let out a humorless laugh.

"I am." she told him with a shrug that brought a hard expression to his face, but Caroline surprised him by reaching up and placing her soft hand against his cheek. "But I forgave you, remember?"

"It's actually funny." Caroline then laughed and just the sound of it made Klaus smile. "The expression is to forgive but not forget. Not the other way around."