Happy

"Elena." Caroline breathed as she opened her door and found the brunette on the other side.

"Hey..." Elena greeted with a low voice and looked to the floor after her chocolate brown eyes met Caroline's blue ones for a second. The chestnut colored hair and tanned complexion had returned to its former glory as Elena had been offered a shower and a couple of blood bags by Stefan after Klaus had let her out of her prison.

Elena seemed small in front of Caroline as she stood with her head bowed and one arm hugging the other. An awkward silence spread between them until Caroline finally stepped aside and asked Elena to come in, which she did without any further thought.

"Marie is really nice." Elena said hesitantly as she looked around the room in an attempt to not meet Caroline's glare. The blonde vampire nodded and then continued to look at Elena expectantly, not sure what she was doing in Caroline's hotel room.

"And this is much nicer than the room I've been in for the last couple of months." Elena laughed, but her smile fell as soon as her eyes met Caroline's. Elena was yet to tell why she even was in Caroline's room and the blonde was growing impatient.

Caroline had calmed down from their altercation two hours earlier, but she felt herself quickly growing irritated by Elena's tip-toing. If Elena insisted on visiting her, she better have something important to say because at the moment Caroline was all but ready to throw her over the balcony.

"What do you want, Elena?" Caroline sighed and crossed her arms in front of her. Elena's eyebrows furrowed at the rude tone in Caroline's voice and when the blonde didn't apologize, she looked dumbfounded. But Caroline was tired of apologizing and always taking the blame if something between them went wrong so she just continued to stare at Elena.

"I wanted to thank you for bringing me back. For caring about what happened to me and not leaving me in that cell, even though you probably wanted to." Elena told her slowly and Caroline couldn't stop the smile that crept up on her lips, making Elena smile as well. As angry Caroline had been with Elena over the things that had happened between them, she had missed her friend as well.

"I could never leave you in a place that unsanitary." Caroline responded and both of their smiles grew.

"I am sorry, Caroline, I really am. I know how wrong it was of me to never apologize for the things I did to you when my emotions were off and I wish that I could take it all back. Oh, and sorry for the things I said earlier. I didn't mean it and I have really missed you." Elena said; her voice almost pleading as she looked at Caroline with her doe eyes.

"I missed you as well, Lena, and I know I might have been a little harsh, but you were really being a bitch." Caroline laughed as she let Elena pull her into a hug. It didn't feel the same as it had five years ago and Caroline doubted they would ever be as close again as she was with Bonnie. But in that moment it was nice to have her friend back.

"You should hear the things I've said to Stefan and Bonnie. I wouldn't blame them if they hated me." Elena said and Caroline could hear the regret in her voice.

"Please tell me what the whole Klaus thing was about?" Caroline asked as she pulled away from their embrace and lifted her eyebrows at Elena, who looked ready to sink into a hole in the ground.

"Urghh! I literally feel like gauging my eyes out and cutting out my tongue. I can't believe I said those things to him and what you heard wasn't even the worst I've done. But I was trying all sorts of things to get out of there." Elena groaned and placed a hand over her eyes in embarrassment.

"And you really thought it was a great idea asking me if I had lost 'Klaus-virginity'?" Caroline said and received another apologetic look from Elena.