Part 1 - Chapter 9

After escaping from Gothel's castle, I run. Keeping the pace steady, I distance myself from the wood surrounding the castle. There's a greater chance of encountering huntsmen here than anywhere else. I don't want Arthur's efforts to be in vain even though I was the one who surrendered in the first place. I wanted to be brave but I've learnt an important lesson today. Bravery doesn't mean to put your life in jeopardy to be the hero.

The trees in this forest have black barks and many have shed their leaves. Roots crawl over the ground, sometimes reaching across to other trees. I don't know where I'm headed and occasionally I have to retrace my steps because my path is blocked by a fallen trunk or conjoined trees. Grey clouds cover the sky and for the first time since I've been in this world, it looks like it's going to rain.

I hear howling coming from behind me. The huntsmen must have sent out the wolves into the forest. It appears I'm running in circles. Every tree looks identical to me and the lack of daylight is not helping my disorientation either. From the corner of my right eye I catch a glimpse of silver fur and when I turn to my left, another wolf is running head to head with me, closing in on me the farther we go.

As I run the keys in my pocket jangle. Arthur must have asked me to pick them up for a plausible reason. I can't get rid of them. One of these keys must open the lock where the manuscript is now stored.

The heavy sword is also slowing me down so I decide to ditch it. Outrunning the wolves will be impossible. I must either climb up a tree where they can't reach me or find some sort of shelter which can hide me temporarily from them until they pass. Further up I notice a grotto. Stepping up my pace to further distance myself from the wolves, I duck and take refuge in the cave.

I can hear the pitter-patter of their feet as they unsettle the dead foliage on the ground. With their noses to the ground, they try to sniff out my scent. One of them gets close to the cave's entrance but I don't move as not to make any sound. If he gets any closer, I'm going to get caught. My heart hammers in my chest and I hold my breath. The leader of the pack howls and they move away like someone has called them off.

I turn to look into the cave, to see how deep it goes but the darkness cloaks it and I don't have anything to light it up with. When I turn my head back, the imp Rumpelstiltskin is standing across me, resting against the other wall with a look of contempt on his face.

"Master Grimm, delighted to make your acquaintance," Rumpelstiltskin says.

"Why are you here, Stiltskin?" I ask with annoyance, using the friendly name William and I use to refer to the imp. I have enough trouble as it trying to avoid wolves and huntsmen. If I stay here longer, I risk getting caught.

"Have you ever wondered why the sky is blue? Why the grass is green or why the sun is yellow?" Rumpelstiltskin quizzes.

I don't bother to answer or react to his theoretical questions.

"No? Perhaps then you've asked yourself how you came here? Who brought you here? Why are you here? I have all the answers you seek."

"It was you! You brought us here?" I say as a moment of realisation dawns on me. The question is rhetorical because I'm certain he was the one behind this.

The unexpected response I get to my question is a giggle. Why would he, a character like the rest, bring us in this world and have the powers to do so? Even if Gothel ordered him to, I fail to see a plausible reason.

"You are part of a grander plan but I' not the puppet master here. I'm a puppet like you. My master commands and I obey. Unfortunately, I cannot disclose who it is but I can answer any other questions you have for me."

"The only question I want the answer to is how to get rid of you," I say sardonically.

"Simple. You need to hear what I have to offer and believe me it's hard to resist. What I want is for you to hand over to me the manuscript and I can guarantee a safe passage for you and your brother back home. Think about that. No more sleeping outside. Comfortably back home writing as story or two together. Everything would be as if it never happened."

"No, I will not give you the manuscript for you to sell to the highest bidder," I rebuke.

"I'm shocked how little you think of me. How about raising the stake? I will take you back to the moment you decide to take that dreadful carriage ride and go off for your wedding. You'd have a chance to stop the accident before it happens. Would that interest you enough to change your mind? Mind you, the price will go up a little as well. Let's say a first born."

Charging, I grab him from the collar lapel of his jacket and smack him hard against the cave wall, holding him up high enough for his feet to dangle in the air. My breathing grows heavier the longer I stare in his sparkly gold-coloured eyes. Until now I was able to tolerate him but bringing up Cecilià was uncalled for. There was a time when I would have done anything to bring her back but this is outrageous.

"What part of I don't want anything to do with you don't you understand?"

"It looks like you need more time to think it through," Rumpelstiltskin says. "I'll back back to ask you again but my offer won't stand for long. Goodbye."

With a giggle he disappears, leaving me standing like a fool with my arms raised and clutching the air. He vanished in the blink of an eye before I get the chance to tell him I won't be changing my mind even if he returns within a hundred years. I lower my arms and a fist-sized, blue ball drops on my palm, rolling down from my sleeve. It looks like it's made of blue coloured sand. Why did Rumpelstiltskin give me this?

A tickle in my nose makes me sneeze, dropping the ball in the process. When the ball hits the ground, thick wafts of blue clouds escape from the granular ball. Then as if someone pulls the ground away from underneath my feet, I fall from the sky and land heavily on the ground. For a fall this high, the pain is bearable. I push myself up until I'm kneeling and dust off my clothes as soon as I'm standing.

Turning around on the spot, I notice I'm in the middle of a clearing. In front of me there's a cottage with a water mill and a patch of vegetables to the side. Being here is not a coincidence.

Rumpelstiltskin must have found this to convince me to accept his offer. I will not falter or go back from my decision. Rumpelstiltskin can offer me all the riches and commodities of the world but nothing will sway me.