Part 1 - Chapter 7

After spending the night camped out in the forest, I wake up stiff. Repeating the process two nights in a row might not have been a good idea after all. The first thing I do after opening my eyes is to feel out for the key around my neck. It's the most important possession I have right now.

The fire died down completely some time during the night. Following Arthur's suggestion, I scatter the twigs and ash to eliminate any traces of the fire before setting out for today's journey. The farther away I move from the box where the manuscript is kept, the better.

Along the way I have consumed one loaf of bread and one flask of ale. I didn't manage to find any cottages for me to settle in and I hope today will be my lucky day because I cannot stand sleeping out in the chill air another night.

I come across a part of the forest with beeches. The light filters through more than in other parts of the forest I've been to before. The leaves are lighter in colour and the branches are leaner. I stop in my tracks. Ahead of me a man covered in a plaid blanket has his back resting against one of the trees.

I approach cautiously towards him. The closer I get, the more his face becomes clearer. When I'm close enough for him to see me and for me to realise who he is, my bag of supplies slips out of my hand and falls to the ground next to me with a soft thud. William's head turns in my direction and his eyes widen upon sighting me.

"Jacob?"

William throws off the blanket keeping him warm and stands. We remain silent, looking at each other, neither of us sure of what our eyes are seeing. I've been waiting for this moment for a long time. Who would have told me I'd meet him by accident?

"I cannot believe we finally meet again," he says, giving me a brotherly hug. "Where have you been? I have been looking for you since that day when we parted ways."

"If you rekindle that flame," I say pointing at the few wooden branches and ash, "I have a lot of stories and some supplies to share with you."

William gives me a meek smile and sits on his haunches to start the fire. I grab the blanket and spread it on the ground as neatly as possible. From my bag I take out the remaining two loaves of bread and two flasks of ale, placing them on the blanket next to me. When the fire starts, William comes to sit next to me.

I tell William about all the highlights during the time we spent apart – the near to capture ones and the good moments. During this time, he just listens to me as I try to describe everything in as much detail as possible.

"Why did you run towards the lake that day when we parted?" I ask after concluding my anecdote and taking a drop of ale. This question has been burning at the back of my mind since that day.

"At first I thought you were following me," William starts. "Then when I turned around and saw you enter the woods it was too late for me to change my course. I dove into the water and held my breath for as long as I could. I swam away from the cottage and remerged at a distance and kept swimming. From that moment on, I kept roaming around the woods, looking for vacant cottages. On a good day I'd find one to stay warm at night and on a bad day I'd find ones which are occupied or guarded by huntsmen."

We share a few moments of silence to eat. Now we are up to date with each other's lives. The time spent apart helped us cool off from our bickering. William is strong minded and I doubt time was able to change his mind – his next question proves me right.

"What did you do with the manuscript? Do you still have it?"

"The manuscript is safely locked away and hidden. I have the key and I know where it's hidden. Even if she manages to take the key from me, Gothel will never find it."

"You what?" William asks, standing in a bout of rage. "You had no right to do that. Your handwriting might be on the pages but it was our idea. The book is as much as yours as mine. I'm tired of running away from a hysteric woman. I still think we should give it to her."

"We can't and you know why," I say, standing as well. "Don't you think I had enough of running around this place - sleeping with one eye open in case huntsmen are around? You know as much as much as I do what's at stake."

"What I know is that my older brother is a coward. Afraid of Gothel. Afraid of what will happen if she gets the book. Afraid of what you'd think of yourself if you let go."

"This is above us! We're talking about the life of every character we ever created!"

William throws his hand forward and grabs the key which hangs on the outside my shirt. With one firm pull, he rips off the leather chain from my neck and without hesitation runs off with it.

"No!" I say as my hand reaches out to grab him but it's too late. My fingers grasp at air – my arm falls back to my side. Breaking into a run, I try to follow him but once inside the forest, he's out of sight. I hope he's not foolish enough to give away the key.

I walk back to our meeting spot and put out the fire, scattering the ashen twigs. I grab the blanket and what ale is left in my flask and pack them into my satchel. Should I be spending the night out tonight, at least I'll have something to keep me warm.

Following in William's footsteps, knowing I will not catch up with him, I walk straight ahead. It comforts me to know he doesn't know where the box is hidden. The key is useless to him. In Gothel's hands, however, it's a completely different story.

I happen upon a castle by a lake, by which a well stands, close by. A boy in his early teens is standing next to the well, with his arm extended over its mouth. In his hands he holds a silver tiara with blue jewel droplets. On his head rests a red, velvet crown with white fur lining with even black dots. The boy's attire consists of a black tunic and leggings. A matching red cape hangs from his shoulders.

"I'm sure many young maidens would love to have that if you don't want it anymore," I say.
The boy, at sound of my voice, turns his head around and the tiara slightly slips out his hand but doesn't fall into the well.

The item is beautiful and it would be a waste to have it thrown into the well and lost forever. I have no use for it but who knows what the future has in store?

"Would you consider giving it to me instead of disposing of it?"

The boy looks at the jewel in his hand and then back to me numerous times. Finally, after serious consideration, he lowers his hand and pulls it away from the mouth of the well, swinging it over to me.

Seeing that I don't have anywhere to keep it and I don't have a fixed, home I don't collect the tiara from the young prince and he stares at me awkwardly. Why would I ask for something I don't intend to keep?

"Could you keep it safe for me? I promise one day I'll be back to retrieve it. Right now I don't have anywhere to keep it. If I leave it here with you it will be much safer."

"Okay, Master Grimm. I will keep it for you," Henry croaks, speaking for the first time since our encounter. The young prince is the frog prince from our tale. Being in his human form, I presume the events we narrated have already passed.

"You look distraught," he adds.

"I have been trying to solve a problem I have," I say, feeling an urge to spill out to him what I have been going through. "It seems the farther I distance myself from it, the more complex it gets. I have tried everything in my power but nothing seems to work permanently. It keeps re-floating. I don't have the strength to keep this going on for much longer."

"I found it best that when I have a problem, running away from it won't solve anything. You have to tackle the bull by its horns even if it means getting injured in the process."

Henry is still young but the advice he gives me is valuable and shows me how naïve I am. Do I want to spend my life running away from Gothel? No, but if I keep this up, that's exactly where my life is headed. I need to take the bull by its horns. In my case, I need to confront Gothel. If things go as I plan, I will not only shake her off my back but also regain my brother's trust whilst keeping everyone safe.