Chapter Fourteen

The lifeless body of Gothel disappears soon after it hits the ground. Her crimson cape with gold lining is the only thing which remains on the lush green grass. What was she afraid of we'll never know. I admit after all she's put us through in the last twelve hours would be enough for anyone to be scared of Jacob wielding a sword. The frantic words coming out of her trembling lips were doused with fear. Someone was pulling her strings and she sought the opportunity to get what she always wanted.  The price to pay was the manuscript and eventually, my happiness.

Jacob drops the sword and takes out the keyring. In a matter of moments, he finds the key to the lock on my chains and both my wrists spring free. The skin covered by the metal cuffs is a little red but it doesn't sting. The cuffs were tight but they didn't hurt. I massage my wrists to get the blood flow back to normal before looking up. I know Jacob has been staring straight at me for the past two minutes but I wasn't ready to look up because I was afraid of what I would see in them whether it be love, compassion or my own insecurity reflected in them. I raise my hand to the side of his head.

"How did you escape and how did find me?"

"I had a little help from seven little friends to break out of the cell," he answers keeping eye contact. "Once I was free it wasn't difficult to guess where she would take you. I know everyone better than they know themselves because I created them. You, on the other hand, are a complete mystery."

A warmth rushes to my cheeks. I must be redder than a tomato right now. Jacob places a hand on the small of my back and pulls me closer to him but I push him away when I hear an evil snicker. Rumpelstiltskin – his presence here is discomforting. Rumple has been Gothel's accomplice all along. He might know who is behind it all and yet again he might not if he was her puppet. Either way, I did not complete my end of the bargain and he's here to take me away as his servant. I know it but I don't want to leave.

"What do you want, imp?" Jacob asks him coldly as he shoves me behind him when he notices Rumple's presence.

Rumple paces to and fro, keeping his distance. My heart beats faster with anticipation. The agreement I signed before coming here is coming back to bite me. I would regret doing it if it wasn't for the fact it has been the best week of my life. If I hadn't signed the wretched scroll, I wouldn't have come to the Enchanted Kingdom and I certainly wouldn't have met Jacob.

"May I remind you, as you would have it, magical contracts have to be honoured to the end," Rumple says, waving his arm and producing an unrolled scroll of parchment. "The terms she signed to clearly state once the deal is complete, she will be returned to her place and given the second half of her reward."

"I don't want anything from you. I want to say here – this is my second request."

"I'm afraid things don't quite work the way you picture them, dear. If you don't go back home, the deal is as good as broken. I warned you what would happen if you decided not to honour your part of our deal."

How can I forget such an important detail? If he declared the contract void, Rumple would take back the first favour he did for me – in this case giving back Ames his sickness, which means he'd die in a few years' time. Even though I can say we're not romantically involved right now, he's still my best friend and I care what happens to him. Adam and Lyla still depend on him and I know his belief about letting them grow up with strangers.

If I do honour my deal and leave, I would be separated from Jacob. I doubt Rumpelstiltskin would agree to send me back here without making another deal first. Saving the happily ever afters of others means destroying my own happy ending. Now I understand the sacrifices heroes make in stories I came across. Sacrificing my hopes and dreams would mean nothing without love and courage.