Chapter 4: Conflict

*You cannot protect two things at the same time. If you don't make a decision, you will lose both.

"Did you plan this, Hyuuga?" Hotaru demanded.

Natsume didn't bother answer her. Instead, he took the letter, which Nonoko was holding, and read it. A smirk instantly appeared across his face when he finished. It seems as though he has reverted back to his old self.

"Who knows? Maybe luck is on my side." He said.

Hotaru reached for something in her pocket and Sumire, Anna and Nonoko instantly backed away. Mikan knew what Hotaru was planning. And before Hotaru could fire her baka gun at Natsume, Mikan immediately went between them.

"Hotaru, it's okay. I don't mind being Natsume's partner. After all, it was uncle's idea and most probably, he would have had a reason for doing so." She shot a pointed look towards Natsume. "Even if Natsume had something to do with it."

Hotaru looked like she didn't want to step down, but after looking at Mikan, she finally put her baka gun back to her pocket.

"You're lucky that Mikan stood up for you, Hyuuga." She muttered. Natsume, on the other hand, didn't bother to hide the smug look on his face.

Anna, Nonoko and Sumire looked at the three of them. Mikan immediately knew what they were asking for: an explanation.

"Later." She mouthed back in reply and the three of them nodded in agreement. Meanwhile, Sumire, who was all so quiet a moment ago, suddenly shrieked.

"OH. MY. GOSH! Hotaru, we need to go now! We have Math next and Jinno-sensei is so not going to let us off if we're late. And we only have five minutes before the second bell rings!"

Hotaru hesitated for a moment, but after Mikan gave her an assuring nod, she and Sumire ran towards the Mathematics classroom as fast as they could. Anna and Nonoko also excused themselves; they had biology next and the class was held in the laboratory, which was on the other side of the building. Also, the twins wouldn't dare miss a single class in Biology, especially since Misaki-sensei was the one who was teaching it, and typically, the two of them had a huge (and obvious) crush on him.

And before Mikan realized it, she and Natsume were the only ones left on the halls. Sighing, she slung her bag on her shoulder and looked at Natsume.

"Since you're my partner for the rest of the school year, the two of us will have the same classes together. My second period is English class and the classroom is located near the History classroom which is that way." She pointed towards the path leading to the right side of the building.

"Hn." Natsume grumbled, already bored.

Frankly, Mikan expected him to react that way. After all, Natsume and his group always ditched and hardly attended any of their classes, especially when it was time for English, Math and History. And based on Natsume's behavior towards Narumi-sensei earlier, Mikan was sure that English was not going to be Natsume's favorite class.

They walked through the halls in silence. After that earlier conversation, Mikan wasn't sure what to say to Natsume anymore. After those unexpected happenings that morning, she planned to avoid him, if not for the whole school year, at least as much as she could manage. But now that she was assigned to be Natsume's partner, they were going to interact with one another as more often than she would like.

To be assigned as a partner is like being assigned to be that new student's best friend. The two of you will always be together. At least, only during class hours. The two of you have the same classes together, you have to accompany each other when going to Central Town and your partner is automatically your lab partner during biology and chemistry class (fortunately, your partner won't automatically be your date to the prom!).

In the past year, when she herself was a new student, Mikan was also assigned a partner. That was when she met Eiji-kun. During the year that the two of them were assigned as partners, they eventually became close. Mikan admitted that she liked Eiji very much, and she even considered going out with him. So during the summer festival that the school held in the past year, when Eiji asked her out, she immediately said yes.

But now that Natsume had returned, Mikan wasn't sure if she still felt the same way about Eiji anymore. Yes she loved Eiji, but she didn't love him the same way that she used to (and still) love Natsume.

And when they finally reached their destination, something (or someone) made Mikan stop on her tracks. Leaning against the door of the English classroom, with his arms crossed, was none other than her current boyfriend, Eiji Nakamura.

"Eiji-kun, what are you doing here?" Mikan asked, surprise evident in her voice.

Eiji approached them, and he smiled at Mikan.

"Just wanting to make sure that my girlfriend gets to her class on time." He said.

"Thank you." Mikan smiled back at him. "But there's really no need for you to do that, you know. You might get late for your next class." She chastised.

"Nah, my next class is History and the classroom's right around the corner. Besides, Noda-sensei is always late." He grinned.

"Well, I'll see you later at lunch. Narumi-sensei is probably starting his class right now." Mikan made her excuses.

When Mikan was about to enter the classroom, Eiji suddenly called her. Before she could ask what he wanted, Eiji suddenly grabbed her waist, pulled her against him, cupped her cheek and kissed her.

"See you later." He whispered in her ear as he gently let her go. Before running towards the History classroom, he shot her a grin and winked at her. But for a brief moment, Mikan could swear that he threw a dirty look at Natsume.

But at that moment, Mikan had no time to ponder on about what she saw. Subconsciously, she touched her lips and she felt her face become warm.

"So that's your new boyfriend?" Natsume asked, smugness evident in his voice.

"It's none of your business." Mikan was too embarrassed to look at him straight in the eye.

"So he's my temporary replacement?" Natsume smirked.

Mikan glared at him.

"And what's that supposed to mean?" She challenged.

Instead of answering, Natsume just smirked again. He went next to her and whispered in her ear.

"’Cause I'm going to replace him soon."

He grinned at her and went inside the classroom, leaving Mikan dumbfounded and if it was even possible, she blushed in a brighter shade of red.