chapter 6

I clean out the inside of the microwave.

"What's your favorite color?" Tyler sudeenly asks.

"It depends. Most of the time it's a dark blue or purple. But I also love a dark green and black. How about you?" I say, putting away the cereal.

"I like those colors too but my favorite is a dark red." Tyler says.

"Red is a good color too I guess." I say. It reminds me of blood and I have shed too much blood. "Why red?"

He shrugs. "I don't know how to explain it. What's your favorite movie?"

I put away the milk. "I don't really know. I don't watch too many movies." I pause and think. "Well, my absolute favorite might be the Indiana Jones movies. How about you?"

"I have to say... maybe the Jurassic Park movies. How about books?"

"I love reading!" I say, excited.

"What's your favorite series?" He says with a grin. He can probably tell this is my category.

"I have way too many to count. Shadow falls, grey wolves, ghallagher girls, and so many more."

"So your a reader? Do you like music?" He asks

"Yeah, I even have my own library here. And with music I only like a few types. Mainly Rock, rock pop, oldies, metal. Stuff like that." I say with a shrug. "How about you?"

"I like all types." He hesitates like he want to say something else. I motion for him to ask. "Is your hair died?" He practically blurts.

"No. My hair has never been died and I never will die it. I love my hair." I say. It's unique around here and I don't like fitting in.

"No joke." Jack says under his breath walking into the kitchen and palcing his empty bowl and spoon in the sink. I smack his arm making him wince and rub where I hit him. "Oww. That hurt."

I give him the look of yeah-right.

"It did." He whines while walking back into the living room.

Tyler looks at me. I give him a smile and tuck a strand of hair behind my ear.

"So he's your best friend?" Tyler asks

"Yes. He's been there for me for as long as I can remember. For my first break up, for my brother's death, for the times I got my ass kicked in training. He can be an ass though." I say. Is he asking to see how much I care bout Jack?

"Oh." Tyler says, shifting in his seat. He looks up at me with intense eyes. "So he's your bestfriend?"

I glare at him. "Yes, he is. You have a problem with that?"

Tyler looks like he wants to say something but thinks better of it. I hear a phone ring. Tyler pats his pockets but shakes his head.

"Not me. Although, dad is probably mad I'm still here. He just wanted me to talk with your dad about your birthday." Tyler says pulling out his phone.

"What's your dad like?" I ask. His face shows shock. "Did you not expect that question?"

"Actually I didn't. No one asks about my parents. Everyone is either scared of them or knows them. He has the same job as your father but he rules with a really tight fist. Your father is more lenient on a lot of things." He says with a sad look.

"Why are you upset?" I look at him playfully. "Does that mean you have no friends?"

"Thats exactly why I can't have friends. They scare them away." Sadness is evident in his voice, making me sad for him.

I walk over to him and give him a hug. "I'm sorry. I wouldn't survive if I didn't have any friends. "

He hugs he back. "You can be one, right? Even if you meet him and he scares you?"

"I promise. It takes a lot to scare me. So you aren't gonna lose me, I promise." I say. He squeezes me tighter and lets me go.

"I have to call him. Go ahead and check your phone. Your backpack is on your desk." Tyler says.

I nod and walk into my room. Wait, why does he know where my backpack is? I turn on the light and see a box on my desk. I walk over and open it.

"Shit shit shit." I keep muttering over and over. I throw my back pack on and rush through the kitchen into the garage with the box. It beeps a few times before I throw it away from me and duck while covering my head with my hands. The box explodes and a bottle falls of the floor, cracking open and dropping a paper.

Jack and Tyler rush into the garage and they both look over me.

"Have any of you seen anyone out of place recently?" I ask picking up the paper.

They shake their heads. I stay silent to read the note. Pure anger courses through me.

"Damn it! I thought they couldn't find me! I thought they gave up on me!" I yell at Jack.

"How the hell was I suppose to know?! I'm not even your partner with missions anymore." Jack yells back. He sighs and speak calmer this time. "What does it say?"

"Dear Ms. Woods, We have gladly agreed to your game of hide and seek. And I can tell you are reading this because you aren't stupid enough to fall for the bomb trick. Let's see how many tricks we can pull on you before you find out who I am. Heck I will tell you now. I am Daniel Harrison. Sound familiar? I hope so because you owe me something very very big. You know, like a very important life? Yes, killing my father will have repercussions for you. I just want you to know we will be after you. I hope you keep everyone you love close because they aren't safe anymore and good luck. Sincerly, your hunter." I read the note and excitement and fright fills me.

Excitemet for the thrill of a chase but the fright of having someone I care for to die. Now, I won't let that happen. Not on my watch.