Chapter 1

'She looked through the scope of the rifle, squinting her eyes onto the target until the cross aligned the point

'She looked through the scope of the rifle, squinting her eyes onto the target until the cross aligned the point.'

**********

February, 2010

She looked through the scope of the rifle, squinting her eyes onto the target until the cross aligned the point. Her fingers hovered over the trigger, and making sure to be as accurate as possible, she fired. The bullet impaled just above her main target point and she sighed.

Sebastian patted her back and shone a small smile.

"That was good Maeve, no need to be annoyed with yourself. Here," The man took the rifle from her fragile hands and moved it into position with the target, shooting it dead on point.

"But that's not fair! You're the best shot in the country!" Maeve complained and he chuckled.

"Actually, best shot in the world."

She huffed, arms crossed.

"We'll see about that."

"Oh yeah?" He repositioned the rifle skywards where a flock of geese were passing, shooting one of them down in a second.

"That'll be for dinner later, go get it Maeve."

Maeve nodded and climbed over the fence into the shooting range where the goose had landed. She found it in some tall grass behind one of the targets, all while taking in the fresh scent of the Irish countryside.

Maeve and her parents, James Moriarty and Sebastian Moran, lived in the midst of rolling hills and greenery on the West Coast of Ireland. It was recluse and peaceful living in a large mansion in the middle of nowhere, it was the only place she was safe.

When Maeve turned back to the house, she noticed that her father, James, was alongside Sebastian talking and observing her. She ran back to the fence and jumped over, coming face to face with the cold eyes of James.

"Hello dear, have you and Sebastian been target practising again?" He asked her as she wrapped her arms around him.

"Yes. I'm trying to beat him at world's best." She muffled into his shirt and he laughed at her words.

"Really?" He took hold of her shoulders so they were face-to-face, "between you and me dear, I think you already are."

"Oi! I can quit the job right here if I'm not good enough!" Sebastian yelled, glaring at the criminal.

"It was only a joke, Sebastian."

"Yeah, I know. You wouldn't get rid of me in a million years."

"If I don't find anyone better."

"Stop flirting, it's gross!" Maeve exclaimed in disgust.

Sebastian ruffled her mess of blonde curls. "Never."