✩₁

CHAPTER ONE
❛ the breakup ❜

"I CAN'T DO this anymore, I'm sorry, (Y/n)." Standing outside your door was that familiar face you loved so much; Shoto Todoroki, and he had just broken up with you. He stood outside your door, unable to meet your teary-eyed gaze. His two-toned orbs were glued to the floor. The atmosphere was tense, and it took you a few seconds to gather your thoughts before responding back.

"... Shoto, I know your father expects you to be focused on becoming a hero and all, but we worked through things before and—" He shook his head, interrupting your rebuttal.

"It's more than that. I just can't, (Y/n). I don't expect you to understand. Becoming a hero is the most important thing as of now. I can't let him down. I can't afford any meaningless distractions—" He paused. The pained expression on your face made him immediately regret his poor choice of words. You weren't meaningless. It was far too complicated for him to explain. He was at war with his feelings, and he didn't want to drag you down into the chaos that was his life. It was out of his hands. Before he could correct himself, you spoke.

"Fine," It was evident in your voice that the situation was far from fine, yet you continued. "I'll see you in class tomorrow, Todoroki." With that, you slammed the door in his face, not interested in hearing anything else he had to say. He stood motionless, staring blankly at the door.

A defeated sigh escaped your lips as you turned your back against the door. You had enough stress dealing with the exams, so the last thing you needed was to be broken up with right before the final. Things have recently been rocky between the two of you, but you never expected him to end it so abruptly— without even trying to fix things. Todoroki's father wasn't too keen on him being in a relationship, and he never particularly liked you— or anyone for that matter... Maybe it just wasn't meant to be, as much as you wanted it to be.

You covered your mouth with a shaky hand and squeezed your eyes, the tears finally spilling from your (e/c) eyes. All those months, all those moments, none of it mattered anymore. It was all for nothing. Your stomach felt tight, almost queasy, and your heart was aching. Everything was hurting.

You loved him— so much. Yet, he let you go. That was the end of your relationship.

☆彡

THE STUDENTS OF Class 1-A were geared up in their hero costumes, gathered in the Center Plaza to complete the final exam. Amongst them stood Aizawa and various other teachers that came to, what you assume, was to spectate the exam. For what reason, you weren't exactly sure.

"What's with all the teachers?" Mina questioned, nudging your shoulder. You shrugged, not giving much of a response. You noticed your friends interacting with you a lot more than usual today. They did your best to include you in the conversation despite you not adding much. They were suspecting of something, but they didn't want to pry into your life too much.

"Now then, let's begin the final exam," Mr. Aizawa began. "Don't forget, it's possible to fail this exam. If you want to go to the training camp, don't make any stupid mistakes." He stepped aside, revealing Principal Nezu. The class began to whisper amongst themselves in confusion. It was unusual for the amount of pro-hero's present, but the Principal of U.A. caused a whole different level of confusion.

"Wait a minute," Uraraka blinked, confused. "What is he doing here? What's going on?"

"Hello, students! For this exam, we want to focus on person-to-person combat, hero work, and basically anything under the category of a real fight!" He smiled, but his demeanor felt serious, "For the final exam, you all will be forming teams to battle against a teacher!"