Chapter Twelve: Defence

Marist's POV

We made our way to the usual meeting spot and I was shocked to see Jay stood where Kira normally would be, ready to talk to us all. 

"So, I have gathered you all here so I can get something off my chest." He announced. "For the past couple of days some of you have been thinking negatively of our Alpha. We are NOT going to judge a situation that NONE of us are in. We have not been thrown in the ring with no training, or without a partner.

"Why do any of you deserve the right? Why are you all so quick to judge? She has done something to make it easier for her and us!"

"Oh right!" I snorted. "And if her job is so hard, why hasn't she stepped down? Why could Alex do it easily and not be a naturally born Alpha? I mean, she's a born and bred ALPHA!  Surely it should have been easier! Are you saying that even if you're born for it, that those who are trained for it are able to take on an Alpha's role are able to cope better? And, that being said, are they also better at the job? Because that's how you're making it sound! If that is indeed the case, why did we have to change from Alex to Kira? Is it because we have some stupid fucking law  stating that Born comes ahead of Trained?"

"Actually," A voice said from behind me, "it's not that." The guy started to walk forward. He was tall, muscular, mousy brown hair and as he walked past, I saw the deep green eyes. I watched him as he walked past. His colour was the same as Kira's. He was hers. She was his. You could actually feel it. As he got closer to her, I could see the colours around them both get brighter and they went from purple to a bright red. When he reached her, he greeted her by placing his forehead on hers. Their colours melted into one bubble that encased them both. The jealousy crawled its way up from the pit of my stomach. 

Cool it!  Joey thought to me.

"Stay the hell of out my emotions! I'm serious Joey!" I growled.  

Everyone looked at me. Kira's eyes were soft and pleading.  I could feel the heat burning in my core, begging me to phase.

"Ki..." I sighed

"I know" she said softly.

I phased, roaring, standing tall. Tunnel vision on him. He phased too, Jay phasing after. 

Marxist this isn't the way to deal with it. Tom hasn't done anything wrong. Jay tried.

Who had her first? Who loved her first? Me! That's who. And I will not go belly up to someone because they think that Liration dictates who a person should be with! I snarled.

And I don't expect you to go belly up. I admire the fact that you have such loyalties to her and that you are so determined to keep her by your side. Your feelings are just and I understand how hard it must be. I can understand that it is painful to watch someone you love so dearly be in love with someone else. It hurts. I get it. I don't want to fight you, Marist. I want you to be in this pack. Your loyalty and devotion are traits that will not go unnoticed. I don't want for this pack to loose you. It is why I do not want to fight. And it is why I recommend that you take a breath and reconsider challenging me.  His voice, even in thought was so calm.

I wasn't challenging you. I don't want to be Alpha. I just want you as far away from her as possible. I don't want to fight you. I just want you to stop being so damn close to her.  My tone was calm and collected 

He barked a laugh.  Would you like for me to avoid touching her? No PDA as it were. I can do that if it makes you more comfortable. You can see auras right? I nodded.  Then tell me when our auras go back to whatever normal  is.  He started to walk away from her and at about seven foot away they were back to purple.

There. That's about normal. 

Good. He nodded.  Right, I'm going to go and phase back. Can I ask that you not attack me?  

I simply nodded and he walked away. I phased back and Alex handed me a change of clothes. 

Kira's POV

I looked at Tom who was now sat about seven foot away from me. I was confused. 

"This is how far apart we need to be for it to not bug him. " He said, sensing my confusion. 

"Oh. Right. Is it a public thing or all the time thing?" I asked.

"Public. If he can't see it, it doesn't bother him." He said it like I was a simple thing.

"So, if he's around we have to be this distance?"

"Or further. He's actually stated the further the better" He giggled.

"Fantastic!" I said sarcastically.

Tom stood and motioned for me to follow him. I stood. As I began following, I heard Marist clear his throat.

"DON'T DO IT" he yelled across the field, his tone was mocking. Was he actually feeling better? I smiled. Maybe he was coming around to the idea. Maybe me and Tom could one day lay side by side in wolf form with the pack around us. Maybe we wouldn't have to walk this far apart when were sneaking off to-

"KI, YOUR AURA IS GLOWING WHITE! DON'T THINK I DON'T KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THAT MEANS!" He yelled again in the same tone. I giggled. He was trying to be funny. 

"You might want to calm your thoughts sweetheart. I don't need to see your aura to know how you're feeling. That feeling is probably the one I can feel the most strong. Calm down." Tom said quietly. I blushed and tried to calm myself. 

I didn't know how to handle this. Normally, I have a lot of control over my urges and I can quell them easily. But now? Not a chance. I was completely helpless. 

"Can we at least speed walk?" I pleaded. 

"Sure we can sweetheart." He stopped and held out his hand, I reached out for his and just before they touched, Marist grabbed my shoulders and pulled me back slightly. He then stepped in front of me and pushed Ton forward several paces. 

Once Tom was seven feet away from me again, Marist stood back.

"See this distance?" he asked drawing a line in the air from me to Tom and back. We nodded. "This is called 'The Marist tolerance bubble'. If you are in the enter the bubble, it will pop. And so will my tolerance. Do. Not. Pop. The. Bubble. At least not around me. If you do," he looked at Tom "I will bite it off" There was no joke in his tone and Tom's face was one of pure horror. 

A/N: WOOOOHOOO! Look at me! Two chapters in one night. I am proud. I am tired. I fucked my sleeping pattern doing this. I hate myself. Pride has gone. Nothing here but pure self-loathing. I just hope my lack-of-sleep fuelled writing is better than my eight-hours-of-healthy-sleep fuelled writing. If so I may never sleep again. Enjoy.