SIX

I ran down the familiar street for about 5 minutes as thoughts invaded my mind. I didn't live far from my school. I didn't know what to expect. Should I have called the police?

I approached the raggedy looking house and ran up the creaky porch steps busting in the house. I looked around expecting to see him in the living room.

"Dad!" I yelled running to his room

I opened the door shocked by what I saw.

He was on the floor dead with multiple bullet holes in his body.

I screamed at the sight. I slammed the door. I was so shocked I couldn't believe what I had seen.

I ran out of the house faster than I ran there.

As I approached the school I stopped to catch my breath and replayed what I just saw in my mind over and over again.

After a few minutes of thinking and crying I pulled out my phone.

I looked through my contacts to see Nate's contact was already saved. With shaking hands, I quickly called his number.

It rang a few times.

"Yo" He answered the phone.

"He's dead ..He's gone.. He needed help -" I screamed into the phone before he cut me off.

"Calm down Kyra.. Where are you?"

I heard a car being started up.

"School..I'm scared" I said as the warm tears fell down my cheeks. I looked around to see that I was the only person outside at the moment.

I don't understand why I'm crying..Shouldn't I be relieved that he's gone. This was just too much to process.

I don't wish death on anyone ..No matter what horrible things they put me through. He called me for help.

"Ok I'm on my way..Relax...Breathe"He sais trying to calm me down. I didn't respond. I breathed in and out slowly with tears still falling down my face. I was trembling.

"Ok stay on the phone with me I'm almost there"

I calmed down a bit and continued to focus on my breathing. My eyes were now closed shut. 

"So can you tell me what happened? Who's dead?" He asked

"My step dad called and said he needed me it sounded like he was hurt so I ran down there as fast as I could"

I paused for a second trying not to cry.

"When I got there he was on the floor dead...I tried to get there quick I swear I did " I said finally letting my tears fall again.

Nate was silent on the other end of the phone

I saw his car pull up. I got in and threw my backpack in the backseat.

"Its ok..It's not your fault....You're a good person for even trying to help him after what he put you through" He said as he pulled off.

" I know ..It's just so unreal. I've never seen a dead body."

I put my head in my lap and began crying sais.

.

.

..

The rest of the ride home was silent other than him trying to comfort me. It did make me feel better I was just in disbelief. I wanted to call the police but I was scared they'd think it was me who'd killed him considering the situation and everything I've been through.

Nate and I were sitting on the couch watching T.V.

I'm starting to open up a little more with Nate after the incident. I felt safe with him. He cared enough about me to get me a phone, take me to school, and rush to me when I needed him.

Whenever he senses that I have low self esteem he puts me in check. I felt that he wanted what's best for me and that meant everything to somebody like me.

His phone started to ring interrupting me from my thoughts.

"Yo" He answered like always

He was listening to the person on the other end for a second.

" Yeah come through we need to catch up" He replied slightly lifting up from the couch.

The person on the other end said one more thing before Nate said "bet" and hung up.

"That was my homeboy..He's coming though with a few of our friends"

I nodded my head and got up.

"I need to get dressed" I said

"Why" He asks looking at me weirdly.

"I can't be looking a mess meeting your friends"

I look at him like he's crazy

He shook his head and got all the way off of the couch. He went into the bathroom. Soon I heard the shower start

I went upstairs and into the room I'd been staying in. I began looking through the clothes in the closet for a cute outfit.

Love u guyysss