Fearless? - Chapter Twenty-Nine

‘The greatest mistake we make is living in constant fear that we will make one,’

- John C. Maxwell

Chapter Twenty-Nine

To say it just a tad awkward between Azelie and Cole would have been the biggest understatement of the century. Azelie hadn’t been at school for the first three days after they had come back after the San Francisco trip. Cole suspected that she had taken it off to look after Ted, his theory proving true when Kelly mentioned that Azelie hadn’t wanted to leave his bedside at the hospital. Cole had waited beside her locker every day since the kiss, hoping that she would appear, so they could sort everything out and that he could apologize for his mistake. 

But, when she finally showed, he should have expected that she would have chosen to act like the entire thing didn’t happen. It was Thursday when she finally appeared back at school; six days after the kiss. Cole was waiting at her locker when he saw her in the corridor, standing in complete shock as she watched him. Her brown eyes were wide, and full of confusion as she suddenly turning and almost running down the hall, pushing past the crowds of people to get away.

He turned away around from the crowd to face the lockers he had been leaning on, pressing his head in, trying to remember the breathing exercises that he was taught as a child in order to calm down. Why did she have to be so difficult about everything? It wasn’t like he was going to ask her to marry him or something; it was just a simple accidental kiss... well, a freaking amazing kiss that Cole had said meant nothing. Which it didn’t, at least not to Cole, but at the time he figured that it might mean nothing to Azelie. Apparently that had been the wrong thing to say.

“You alright?” a voice questioned, snapping Cole\s attention away from his thoughts. Cole turned around to find Alex standing beside him, a curious look clear on his face. After a brief moment of thought, he decided it might just help to tell someone, hell Alex might even tell him what to do, because right now he sure as hell didn’t know what would make Azelie talk to him again. 

“I kissed her,”

“Who?” Alex interrupted, looking slightly confused as to who Cole was talking about.

“Azelie...” He answered, forgetting that Alex wasn’t the brightest bulb in the box.

“YOU KISSED AZELIE?” He shouted in shock, not believing Cole.

“Yeah,” Cole replied quietly, hoping that Alex wouldn’t shout their entire conversation out loud for everybody to hear. “And then said that it didn’t mean anything,”

“Shit man, Kelly’s going to have your balls when she finds out!” Alex replied, his voice deadly serious. Cole knew he wasn’t joking. Kelly cutting off his balls wasn’t even half of what Kelly was going to do to him when she found out. 

“Yeah,” he said, “Believe me when I say - I know!”

“And then she’s gonna go after me!” Alex added, a look of horror forming on his face.

“What? Why would she go after you?” Cole questioned, looking over at his friend as they began to walk up the corridor from Azelie’s locker.

“Because you’re my friend! And in Kelly’s books, that mean you’re my responsibility! So when you screw up; I’m in the dog house!” Alex explained, trying not to think of what Kelly would have in store for him. Cole just shook his head at the two of them, wondering how one little crazy pink-headed woman could cause both of them so much horror. Cole and Alex were considered two of the best footballers on the school’s team; and just one girl could strike the fear of hell into their hearts.