Fearless? - Chapter Twenty-Six

‘They’ve promised that dreams can come true, but forget to mention that nightmares are dreams, too,’

- Oscar Wilde

Chapter Twenty-Six

The light from the morning sun rise shone through the thin curtains, lighting up the hotel room and waking Azelie up from her peaceful sleep. Her eyelids slowly fluttered open as she let out a loud yawn, not wanting to wake up at all, but instead preferring to go back to sleep. Then she realised that the room she was in was not her own, she was in somebody else’s. Tiredness stopped her from jumping up in shock but it didn’t stop her from scanning around to room, searching for any sign of life. It was only then she felt an arm wrapped around her, squeezing her tightly, though it wasn’t particularly uncomfortable. Cole’s arm.

She remembered it all now. Kelly kicking her out of her bedroom so that she could spent time with Alex before they went back home to Washington. She remembered asking Cole if she could stay the night, which of course, he accepted with that little spark of emotion that Azelie always mistook for the feeling of friendship. Then, Cole waking her up in the middle of the night, their little fight about Azelie not sleeping which went on until he finally told her to move over, as he crawled into her bed - which was technically his. 

For some reason, she didn’t want to move. She was warm, cosy, and she had just slept better than she had in years. All Azelie wanted to do was just close her eyes once again, and float back to her peaceful sleep. But she couldn’t. Glancing up slightly, but without moving her body, Azelie saw that it was half seven in the morning, about an hour until they were all due to get up to get ready to catch their flight home. She had to move now or she would risk being caught by the teachers who wouldn’t take lightly to her sleeping in Cole’s room - never mind the same bed! 

Carefully, she attempted to unwrap Cole’s arms from her waist, trying to escape without waking him. But her attempts were useless. His arms weren’t going to move from around her without a fight, in fact the more she struggled, the tighter they held onto her, until she couldn’t even wriggle about. Sighing slightly, she realised that she was going to have to wake him up if she wanted to escape from his hold. 

“Cole,” she whispered, trying to look over her shoulder to the sleeping boy behind her, but he was still fast asleep. “Cole!” She repeated, this time slightly louder, again nothing but a few mumbles.

“Cole, I swear to god, wake up!’ She said, no longer whispering. He just let out a tired groan, mumbling something about it being too early to get up and to go back to sleep. That was the final straw for Azelie.

“COLE!” she shouted while elbowing him in the stomach. “Wake up! Damn it!” This time, Cole did wake up.

“Jesus christ!” He yelled, as Azelie’s elbow connected with his stomach, waking him unexpectedly. His arms instantly unwrapped from around Azelie waist, leaving her free to move once again. “What the hell was that for?” He questioned, rubbing his eyes slightly, still getting over his shock awakening. 

“You wouldn’t move, so I had to wake you up!” Azelie shrugged, standing up from the bed and walking across the room to pick up her clothes. She turned around to look at Cole still lying in the bed, the covers revealing most of his bare stomach as he tried to sit up, his brown hair messy and sticking up in a hundred different directions. Azelie tried to ignore that fact that he was hot when he was tired. Trying to think about anything other than her best friend looking rather cute... It was harder than she thought it would be, which unnerved her a bit. Why was she thinking about Cole like that? It wasn’t like she fancied him or anything. That was ridiculous, she couldn’t like Cole that was, could she?