CHAPTER 3

Chapter 3: The Arcade And The Denim-clad Flirt

JEAN Grey loved when the wind entered through the car's open window and hit her face, blowing her locks off her shoulders.

In all honesty, the quietness of the town agreed with her, the structures surrounding her all looked slightly abandoned though. She calmly watched as a few people tended to their shops duties down the road as Jim drove.

As promised, Hopper got off work to take the girls to the Palace Arcade. He was hesitant at first, but seeing now how Downtown was beginning to clear out due to the recently opening mall, he dropped them off relieved.

Jean and Eleven stopped outside the place for a moment, observing the white upside down triangle sign spinning slowly above the place.

Once they entered, Jean looked around the dark near empty place.

Then the redhead -followed by El- pranced towards a machine, colorful lights of the video game swallowing her up.

For some reason, when she had walked in, one of the workers' - an incredibly tall one- breathing hitched when his eyes landed on her. He scampered from in front of a game, wiping his cheetos stained hands on his pants and went to hide behind the counter.

A bemused Jean teared her eyes off him and entered a quarter, courtesy of Hopper, and began playing. It was a game called Road Fighter; a racing game.

Eleven just stood by her side, watching the girl struggling at first then getting used to the arcade game.

"So," Jean began, her eyes glued to the bright screen. "The boy that came over yesterday-"

"Mike." Eleven added.

"Yeah, Mike. You've been talking to him all night, right?" Pressing the 'A' button to skyrocket the speed to 400, Jean, for a fraction of seconds, occasionally glanced to El to see her blush. The couple would usually spend every waking moment chatting with their walkie-talkies.

"Yes." She replied, smiling bashfully. "He's my boyfriend."

The Amnesic girl's lips stretched in smile from how precious El sounded just now.

Almost reaching the final stage of the race, Jean unfortunately lost and ran out of fuel. Once 'Game Over' appeared on the screen, the tall girl turned sideways to glance at Eleven. "You wanna play?"

Eyes widening nervously, El spoke. "... I don't know how."

"I thought you said you come here most of the time." To Jean's knowledge, El was home-schooled for the time, unallowed to go anywhere with a crowd, so this place was perfect for hef. She found it a bit odd, but given the situation of El possessing superhuman abilities, it made sense for her father to be careful.

"I just watch Mike play." Eleven replied.

"And where's the fun in that?" Said Jean, her lips stretching playfully, eyes glinting. "Here." She urged, moving away from the machine and gently pushing El towards it.

Eleven was dubious but complied.

"Just reach the finish line within the stages without running out of time."

"Try not to hit other cars." She advised, watching the tense girl struggling with the controls.

"Oh, you're running out of fuel, hit that car." Pointing at the multi-colored car, Jean said.

"You said not hit cars." El retorted.

"Yeah, but this one's special, it gives you fuel."

How can hitting a car give fuel? El logically thought.