Chapter 8 - The City

The train slowed and stopped with a hiss of brakes. The doors opened and three men in suits jumped off and quickly moved away from the train towards an exit.

'We have called ahead, someone who can give you access to Backrub will meet you here. We will collect you in three hours. Happy hunting.' said Cabot from the train doorway.

The train started to pull out of the station. Rachel walked up beside him and waved to them. 'Be careful.' she said. 'Oh, I just remembered. See what you can find out about something called demiurge? That shadow said it.' she added. 

They nodded then looked around underground platform. It was dusty from disuse and seemed deserted then they noticed at the far end there was actually one person there. A young man in an expensive-looking dark blue suit. He noticed them too and walked over smiling. He was like no-one they had seen before. His skin was the colour of coffee with milk and his eyes dark and warm as if he had just laughed or cried. He embraced them both and they could smell a rich perfume. 

‘Greetings to you my friends. My name is Omar. Cabot tells me you seek information, well, I am the man to ask, you know? I have access to the greatest store of digital information in this world.’ He lifted his arms dramatically, then leaned towards then conspiratorially and whispered with a finger in front of his mouth, looking about them. ‘But you must tell no one, you see, it is forbidden. Like the tree of knowledge? I am like the snake offering you the apple. Ha! You will see how appropriate that is. Follow me.’

He swept about and his Macintosh coat swirled around him like a cloak. They ascended some stairs and through a series of doors and eventually emerged on a platform full of wealthy-looking people all followed by porters carrying their luggage. They were standing in a huge, vaulted train station. Beams of sunlight shone through ceiling panels splitting the light into different colours like a rainbow. Omar swept confidently through the crowd and they followed him feeling poor by comparison to the people around them. They emerged into bright sunshine and a busy, prosperous city.

‘Are you still there my friends? Welcome to the City of Dublin! This is part of your city you have never seen before I am sure. It is only for the wealthy few. If we had more time, I could give you a tour, but sadly, we have not long before your train leaves, no?’

He raised his arm and a black cab with large wheels like a carriage pulled over. They all climbed in. Omar spoke quickly stating their destination. 

‘We should discuss our business in more comfort when we arrive, yes?’ Omar winked at them again. He pointed out the window ‘There we have the Opera house. Perhaps I am like the phantom of the Opera. He laughed a rich laugh. Soon the cab stopped. They stepped in to an old building and up an elevator. Omar led them up to an office, holding each door for them as they went. The office was full of expensive furniture. 

‘Sit, please, I've arranged a snack for you. Ah, here it is’ A tray rolled into the room carrying water with fresh mint or orange and small cakes. Dex and Karma sat on a large leather sofa, still feeling dazed at this new experience. ‘This is wonderful.’ said Karma. I had no idea there was so much, richness here in Dublin.'

Omar raised his eyebrows. ‘This? It's just an office like many others. I had heard outside our walls Ireland has become more like your famine times again in recent years. That is a shame, it is a beautiful country. Now infested with priests and spiders eh? Well, we have little time. What do you want to know? I have the full Backrub database at my fingertips here, we should be able to find the answers you seek soon.’

Karma said, ‘The message we want to understand is something to do with Concordat SS 33.’

Omar called up a display that they all moved around to look at it. He spoke a few commands.