Chapter 2 - An Audience

‘Your holiness’, said Monsignor Felt, as he knelt before the pope in the grand old library of Trinity College. They were at the end of a long room with arches on either side filled with leather bound books. In front of each arch sat a marble bust of a previous pope. The current incumbent in the role looked cold and white too as if he would soon turn fully to alabaster and join them. His skin looked as fragile and cracked as eggshell. In both his hands he clutched a bejewelled orb.

‘Stand, Felt.’ said the old man.

Felt stood, but kept his head bowed. They were alone, which Felt thought was unusual, since a man with the temporal power of the pope must always have cardinals and others awaiting his every command. Felt waited for the pope to speak.

‘How must Noah have felt when God told him of his plans to flood the earth, do you think?’ began the pope. 

Felt was confused, but answered, ‘he must have felt privileged to have been chosen, your holiness.’

‘Yes, of course. But did he feel worthy do you think?’ said the pope, grasping the arms of his throne and gazing up into the high, dark ceiling.

Felt did not know what to say. ‘I don't know, your grace. The bible does not tell us what he thought.’

‘Relief, man, he must have felt relieved, that he was not going to be killed!’ The Pope let out a dry laugh like a cough. 

The pope then grew serious as he said to Felt. ‘It is not for us to question the will of God, but to follow it, is that not true?’ 

‘Yes, your grace.’ said Felt.

‘You have proven yourself an instrument of his divine will. There is a part for you in his divine plan. Do you think the world is wicked Felt?’ the Pope turned his cold eyes on Felt now.

‘Yes.’ said Felt with some feeling. ‘The world has grown weak and soft, few men now follow the true church.’

‘Indeed. You know God offered Noah a covenant that He would never wipe out the wicked again. Jesus Christ died to atone for our sins over 2,000 years ago. But what of mankind's sins since then? How can we atone? God can no longer wipe the slate, he has no more children to sacrifice to us. Who does the responsibility fall to but the Chthonic church? Mankind has grown wicked once more and must pay the price of blood. God has spoken directly to me and He has given us his church the means to do that. He has given us the Ark of the Covenant so we can fashion it into a third new convenant. That is what I brought you here to tell you.’

The Pope stood slowly and walked towards Felt. Felt stood firm, but had an instinctual reaction to draw back from the cold crooked man he quickly stifled.

The pope grew close to him. He stared into Felt's eyes and said, ‘God spoke to me. He said that we the Chthonic church are the demiurge. We must do God's will and cleanse the earth. We must purge the evil from men by spilling their blood.' He shuffled closer, his robes dragging on the stone. Both hands still wrapped like claws around the orb.

'We once brought a plague onto the potato of Ireland from Mexico you know? We cleansed this land. But this time, we can choose to save only those with complete obedience to the church, not just cull the sinners. Do you understand?’ The pope was very close to Felt now and he thought quickly what he must say. ‘Yes, your grace.’

‘Good.’ said the pope as he turned slowly and returned to his throne.

‘Go, you are the hand of God and will do his will. Amen.’ He held up the orb and spoke. 'We are done.' It's gems glowed green. A voice answered. from within 'I will meet him outside your holiness.'