Chapter 11 - O'Shayada

They staggered out of Time Tours, holding each other upright. Dex could still feel the dust from the towers on his skin and the heat of the explosions. They hailed a river taxi and headed back to the City train terminal. Quickly and quietly, they re-entered the maintenance hatch that led to the train platform. After a tense wait, the train arrived and they climbed on with intense relief.

One of Cabot's men led Dex and Karma the colonel's cabin on the train. It was small and functional, like it had been used by the conductor in a bygone age. He was alone and read some papers in an old wooden chair. 

He looked at them over his glasses. ‘Glad you made it back. Rachel sends her regards, she is at another meeting. How was your research trip?'

'Security tried to kill us. Turned off the failsafes in a 9/11 be-movie. We managed to see through it. Otherwise, we'd be dead.' said Dex breathlessly.

'You saw through it? Remarkable. I knew being a time tour guide for so many years gives you a unique ability to see through illusions. I am relieved you made it out.' Cabot said.

'So are we, it was, well, interesting.' Dex trailed off, embarassed as he thought of the kiss.

I am interested to know though, what did you learn?’ Cabot asked as they sat on a small bunk opposite him.

‘Well Omar told us there's a connection to the Nazi party in Germany and that this demiurge had something to do with a contract, a concordat between the 3rd Reich and the Chthonic church. We have to get into the church archive in Trinity to fully get to the bottom of this. Oh, we also got these colours and numbers. May I?’ said Dex. He pointed at a piece of paper and pencil. Cabot nodded. Dex wrote them down and handed it to Cabot.

Cabot looked at the informaiton and thought for a second. Then he said. ‘I will pass this on to Rachel, she might have some insight into it. The Trinity information could be very important information to us. The church have been doing some very secret work on DNA there that might be connected. The church archive, yes, I know someone who could be useful there. Also, it would mean not having to actually go there. But this person is not trustworthy. In any way.’

‘Who?’ said Karma.

‘A priest named O'Shayada. He was, shall we say, removed from harm's way when he began an unfortunate habit of killing young people who were, ah, close friends of his. Now, the church has him reassigned, moving among the spider factories were his habits are easier to hide. He worked in the archive and so could help answer your questions. It also so happens he has an eidetic memory, so if he's read something he does not forget it. In a sense he is a walking archive.' He turned to look at thim closely.

'The most important thing you must never forget is the man is dangerous, but predictable. He always acts to benefit himself and that makes him easy to manipulate. Right now, he will do anything to get out of the factories, which are worse than any prison and if he thinks we will help him do that, he will tell us anything we ask.’ Cabot stood up and began to leave the cabin. 

‘We'll make contact and bring you there. I think he will talk to you both more so than any of my men. He likes younger people. My advice is never turn your back on him and always distrust everything he says. I'll tell the driver to bring us to Limerick where most of the factories are. I'll phone ahead first and arrange the meeting.’ He left them alone and closed the door.

The friends talked quietly and rested for a while. Soon the public address system on the train announced they would be passing through Waterford and under no circumstances were the windows of the train to be opened. 

‘Why's that now.’ said Karma.

‘You've not heard of the spiders of Waterford?’ said Dex.