Risk of Flirtation

Chapter 3

"Tell me again why you're dressed so nice?" Ace asked as he glanced warily at the black cami dress you were wearing with a beige boxy cardigan, your apron tied around your waist.

You simply shrugged, offering him a half-hearted smile. "Shanks said we would get more business if I dressed this way, and we could both use the tips."

"Sure..." Ace continued to look at you skeptically. "But I don't believe that's the reason...it doesn't have to anything to do with the girl who's been hanging around Marco the last few nights and happens to be sitting really close to him tonight, does it?"

Your eyes widened for a moment before your face formed into one of your famous pouts. "I have no idea what you're talking about, maybe I just wanted to dress nicely for myself for once," you stuck out your tongue at your freckled coworker as you pulled your hair up.

Ace rolled his eyes, giving you a good poke on the forehead and earning a scowl in return. "Yes, you do. You've been talking about it since last week when Shanks informed you of the situation."

"I'll just go see if they need any more drinks~!" You hummed, completely ignoring Ace as you trotted over to the group of older males, plus the girl that was almost hanging from Marco's arm.

You took out your notepad and pen and gave the familiar group your most charming smile. "Hello, boys~! Can I get ya anything else?" You asked in your most cheery voice.

Thatch, Paulie, Iceberg, Benn, and Yasopp all gave you their orders with added comments, though Thatch was sure to scold each one that tried to hit on you. Marco was distracted by the conversation with the girl whose name you had made a mental note to forget and were successful in that endeavor.

"What about you, Marco? We have a pineapple ale on tap right now~," you teased, putting your hand on his shoulder to get his attention.

He turned his lazy eyes on you, smiling instantly as they met your own. "You know I don't like the fruity stuff, don't try to pass that off on me because you think you're funny yoi,' he teased back, his smile widening at the cute giggle that escaped your lips.

"Fine, fine I'll just get you your usual," you jokingly rolled your eyes as you added his order to the list on your notepad. "Thanks for coming tonight, it's always a lot more fun when I see familiar faces at work."

"What yoi? Ace and Luffy not cutting it for you?" Marco chuckled at the pout that appeared on your face.

"You know what I mean, stupid pineapple," you huffed, your pout breaking into a smile when you noticed how cute he looked as he laughed.

"Yeah, I know what you mean yoi. Now get back to work and hurry back with our drinks barmaid," Marco joked, expecting to earn a swat from you but tensing instead when you leaned in to give him a quick peck on the cheek before hurrying off to fill the orders.

When you made it back to the bar, Ace was staring at you with wide eyes. "I hope you know you have one very angry girl staring daggers into your back and one very shocked Marco burning holes into your back."

"Sounds really painful for my poor back..." you joked, glancing back quickly to confirm what Ace had said, offering the pair a wink.

"Someone's fiery tonight," Ace chuckled, starting to get the order of drinks ready with you. "I feel like I should take over so you don't cause the poor oblivious pineapple too much trouble."

"No way, this girl doesn't seem right for Marco anyway," you hummed, setting all the drinks on the tray.

"You're only saying that because you want to be with Marco," Ace shook his head, smiling at you regardless of your clearly selfish actions.