Chapter 14

I huffed as I got up and trudged to the bathroom. I'd at least meet up with Nat and Alex before we had to leave. They were the only ones keeping my sanity in check. I sighed and started getting ready.

"Oh my god, I suck at this," I said as the ball flew out of the court.

"No you don't. You just need more practice," Natalie said, barely containing her laugh.

"The score is seven to three now. That's not too bad," Alex said and retrieved the volleyball.

"You made all those three points while I helped Natalie win," I said and rolled my eyes.

"It's not your game, yeah, yeah. C'mon, serve already," she said from the other side of the court.

"Here it comes," Alex said and made the ball fly to her side effortlessly.

She hit the ball, and it was flying in my direction. I shrieked and move forward to hit it, but with how coordinated I am, I ended up tripping on nothing and fell. I felt the sand cover me and the ball hitting my back. I could hear Natalie and Alex rushing to my side, asking me if I was alright. I quickly stood up, brushing the sand off of me and reassuring them. When I did get on my feet, I felt a shot of pain in my right ankle. I groaned but waved it off. I rolled my eyes and smiled at the pair staring at me, making sure I was fine.

"My ankle hurts just a little bit, but otherwise I'm fine. I'll sit the game out. Alex will have a better chance of winning then," I said and moved to the side of the court.

Like I predicted, Alex was capable of winning as long as I wasn't on his team. I noticed another volleyball flying towards him, and I looked to see that it was from the girls playing on the other court. Nat tried to warn him, but it was too late. He didn't see it coming, and he stumbled forward upon impact. The four girls who were playing ran towards him before Nat could, and apologized repeatedly. The more they kept ogling his bare upper body, the more I wondered if that wasn't really an accident.

"We're so sorry.... ummmm.." one of them said.

"Alex. And it's fine," he said, picking up the ball.

"Thanks for being so nice, Alex. I'm Tara," she said, taking the ball from him.

"Cool. I guess we should all get back to our games then?" he said, eyeing Natalie. She didn't look too happy watching him being surrounded by four bikini-clad girls.

"Yeah, we should. But it was nice meeting you. Maybe we could play some time if you're still here," I heard the other girl say.

"Umm.. maybe. I'm sure my fiance and I would love that," he said, and looked to Nat's direction. The girls looked at her, and their smiles didn't look as nice from where I sat. Wait, hold up, fiancé?

When they left, Natalie was fired up as she played. I was worried she might accidentally spike his face at the rate they were playing. In the end, Natalie won, but I suspected Alex let her. We ate our lunches early, so I had time to do what I wanted. They only asked about Chance once, to my relief.

"So, fiancé?" I said while we were sitting down. Natalie scratched the back of her neck and looked down.

"I'm sorry I lied. And I made Chance promise not to say anything to anyone. Don't be mad at him. He only knew because he helped me find my ring, the night I first saw you in the lobby. And this jerk over here forgets to keep his mouth shut sometimes," Natalie said, nudging Alex.

"Not like you would've killed me with the ball if I said you were my cousin earlier," he said and laughed, nudging her back.

"Would not have! Ok, fine, probably," she said, and we laughed. It didn't irk me, I knew they weren't cousins by the way they acted. I just never asked because it was their business.

As we were watching a speedboat race, I spied Chance heading towards us. He shot a quick glare to Alex, which he thought no one noticed. I gave him a look and asked when we were leaving.

"We're leaving in five, so let's go," he said, practically dragging me with him. I pulled away from him though and said goodbye to Nat and Alex, wishing them the best. We would meet up soon though. Then I followed Chance to where the boat was waiting.

The tension in the plane was thick as we sat across from each other. We didn't say a thing and busied ourselves with our phones. The silence seemed to irritate me further, but looking out the window watching the clouds seemed to calm me somehow.

As we approached landing, I got antsy. I didn't know what to say if someone noticed the tension between us. I hoped no one would notice, and that he'd at least act like we were okay.

"We have troubling news, honey," Mom said as soon as I found her. We haven't talked in days. But I knew Chance has talked to them. My eyebrows scrunched, and I gave her a questioning look.

"It's about Jase. She------"

______________________

Woop! Sorry, I was away for the weekend on a field trip. -_- But they're back! :D Want to know what the news is? Then Vomment! :D The more, the better. It urges me to upload sooner. <3 Hope you're all doing well! :)