Chapter 16

As I made pancakes for breakfast, I was passively listening to Chance talking to one of the guards. He was being super overprotective, and it was annoying because I already knew what and where I'm not allowed to do or go. But it was kind of sweet, too. I was just finishing up when he finished, and I made sure to clean the mess I made.

"Need help?" he said, coming up behind me. Before I could answer though, he had already swiped the plates and placed them on the table. I shrugged and thanked him then looked for syrup in the pantry.

"I have to go back later, Nie. Will you be okay here?" he said after we finished eating.

"I know. I'll be fine," I said and smiled, sitting beside him on the couch.

"Natalie texted you, by the way. Your mom wanted to pass all your messages to you. She'll pass it on to your guards."

"Oh? What'd she say?" I said as he put an arm around me.

"She wanted to see you when they get back three days from now. And they want us to be there when they officially announce their engagement during her album release party," he said and shrugged.

"Aww, but," I said and scrunched my nose.

"I know. Sorry," he said, intertwining his other hand in mine.

"Don't, it's fine. One day this will be over," I said, squeezing his hand. I like to think I would've broken down without him here with me. I don't even think he knows.

"I promise to do everything I can to give you, us, our lives back," he said, and I tilted

my head to look at him already staring at me. The sincerity in his words made me shiver inside.

"Did I ever tell you how much I appreciate you just being here?" I said and let my lips graze his cheek. I felt a tickle in my tummy and I mentally laughed at myself.

"You don't need to. I'll always be here for you, whenever or wherever, Nie," he said, smiling back down at me. Just then his phone started to ring, and he looked at me for a second before answering it, still holding me. I closed my eyes as I rested on his chest.

"Oh, that's good to hear. Yes, thank you, Jonathan. He'll update you on everything. Next week? Sure, no problem. Just schedule everything in, thanks. Yes, thanks again."

"His dad's fine now?" I murmured, eyes still

closed, reveling in lying on him.

"Yeah. Couldn't have been sooner. I had to explain a lot to his substitute. But he's taking two days off next week. So where were we?" he said, and I felt his lips on the top of my head. A warm feeling flushed inside of me, and I shrugged, smiling.

A few hours later, it was time for Chance to leave. I didn't know when he could come by again because he had a lot to do, but he promised to call whenever he could.

As I leaned against the wall, watching him check for anything he left, I felt the sadness sink in. I had empty days on end where food and books would fill the slots in my time. And I only had phone calls to look forward to. At least here, if it was me they were out to get, no one else would be hurt. I hoped.

"I have everything. I still have half an hour left, what do you wanna do?" he said, looking back at me. As he approached me, he noticed the look on my face and frowned.

"Hey, what's wrong? Don't worry, I won't miss any opportunity to annoy you," he said as he tucked a stray strand of hair behind my ear.

"I know, I hate you," I said and laughed, making him smirk. He was making me feel weird again, his face inches from mine. I needed to move him out of my personal space box, but for some reason I didn't want to.