Chapter 13

It had been three days since we got to Bora-Bora already, and Chance looked to be ready to leave. Whenever we weren't doing anything, he was on his phone. We only dived once and lazed around for the most part. I understood he was busy, but I couldn't help but be disappointed. Sometimes he'd even go into another room and speak quietly, which I guessed was because he didn't want me to hear. It piqued on my curiosity, but I wasn't going to force it out of him.

When night fell, I was surprised to see Chance dressed to go out. He said he had dinner arrangements planned. I cocked an eyebrow, looking at him with disbelief. He rolled his eyes while smiling before I changed into warmer clothes and grabbed my phone which lit up because of a message from Sky, to which he shook his head.

"No phones tonight, Nie. Hand it over," he said, and I gave it. He was making an effort now? As much as I want to be hardheaded, I didn't want to start a fight.

"So what exactly do you have planned now?" I said as we walked to the waiting car.

"Like I'm telling you," he said and snickered. I huffed in response as we got in.

When the car came to a halt, I noticed the little scattered light outside. I looked to Chance, and he was smiling to himself. We got out then, and he led me to where there were maybe hundreds of little torches buried in the sand amidst the warm night air. In the middle though, there was a table set up with chairs and utensils.

Chance tugged on my arm, leading me to one of the chairs. I felt just a slight breeze, making my hair cover my face partially. Chance brushed it back behind my ear though and pulled my chair out then sat across from me.

"Romantic dinner, really?" I said and looked around. I couldn't see our guards anywhere, but I knew they were watching us.

"Well, we could go back and lounge or something if you prefer," he said, looking nervous.

"Woah, calm down. I didn't mean it that way. It's actually really sweet," I said, patting his hand. This was surreal.

He exhaled in relief and said, "I just wanted to make it up to you. I know we didn't do much since we got here."

I shrugged and said, "It's okay really. I understand you have things to finish up."

"Thanks," he said and smiled.

"Your dinner is ready, Sir, Miss." I almost jumped out my skin.

I looked beside us and saw who I presumed to be the waiter with our plates and sighed in relief. I didn't notice him before. I didn't even hear him walking towards us. The sea was calm, and the nature noises were faint, so I didn't know how I didn't notice.

Chance looked at me and raised an eyebrow, half-smiling. I stuck my tongue out at him and shook my head while looking down at the plate set in front of me. Smoked salmon with a lemon butter sauce and seafood pasta. My stomach growled unceremoniously, and I gave Chance a wry smile before we ate.

"Is there something wrong?" I said mid-meal.

He looked up from his plate giving me a confused look and said, "No. Why would you think that?"

"Well, you never go into another room to talk to someone. And if you're planning a surprise like this, you wouldn't take the call with me in the room," I said, shrugging.

"You mean the call I got earlier?" he said, and I nodded.

"That was just the doctor. I went for an early check-up and tests done. I was waiting for the results. I didn't want to worry you if I heard bad news," he said nonchalantly.

"What? How can you be so casual with that? So what did they come up with?" I said, scrunching my eyebrows.

"It's okay, Nie. I'm all good and well," he said while looking down at his plate.

"Really? Are you sure?" I said.

"Yeah, it's fine. Don't you wanna watch the waves?" he said, looking everywhere but at me; weird.

"Yeah, yeah. What's wrong?" I said with a hint of annoyance in my voice.

"What do you mean? Nothing's wrong. Mom called earlier to---"

"---Stop changing the topic. What are you hiding from me?" I said, feeling a bit hurt. If something was wrong with him, I wanted to know.

"I'm not hiding anything, Nie. You just keep going back to that when we can talk about other things," he said, looking exasperated.

I huffed and said, "No, you're hiding something."

"I am not."

"Yes, you are."

"No."

"Yeah."

"I'm not."

"That's what she said."

"Really, Nie?"

I shrugged and said, "We both know you're hiding something."

"Well, you're wrong."

"Yeah right."

"Why won't you believe me?" he said and grunted.

"Because I know I'm right," I said and crossed my arms.

"No, you're wrong," he said, standing up.

"I definitely know I'm right," I said, also standing up. This was getting annoying.

"Yeah, you're always right," he said sarcastically. That just made me want to punch him.

"I dare you to say it again," I said in a menacing tone, placing my hands on the table.

"Whatever. I'm heading back. Maybe you'll believe me later," he said and turned his back to me.

My face contorted from agitation, annoyed and disbelieving. Did we just have our first childish fight? Wait, that wasn't childish. I knew I was right. But you were pressing him when he clearly didn't want to talk about it. I told the more rational part of my brain to shut up and stalked over to where the car was.

The short trip back to our cabin was tense, and we didn't even look at each other. My brain kept telling me I was being stupid, but he was being stupider... more stupid. Aah, now it's messing my brain up. I sighed and stalked into my room... our room. I groaned and flopped down on my bed and dozed off, not wanting to worry about this now.

When I woke up, I accidentally threw the blanket on the floor. I couldn't even remember if I had a blanket last night. And the dinner fight seemed more like a dream after sleeping on it. It was wrong of me to press him to admit there was something wrong. But I saw it as me being worried and concerned for a person close to me though. Aren't I right?

After stretching, I lazily got up, bumping into the nightstand. I looked down and noticed a sticky note on the lamp. It read: Made arrangements to go back home after lunch. Don't leave anything. -C.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N So Sorry for the really late update. -3- But I'm still sticking to finishing before the end of october for the watty's. My friends have been telling me to update for a while now, too. I also had writer's block, and I kept rewriting. So Vomment if you wanna help me with the Watty's :D

I have the next chapters in mind, so I'll definitely update within the week.