As Far As Formalities Go

Stiles POV

If it wasn't for my ribcage keeping everything in, I swore my heart would've jumped out of my chest once Lydia actually agreed to dance with me. I stood up to her, even called her ass 'cute', and then she had the decency to tell me that you don't win a Nobel Prize for a mathematical theorem. Yup, introducing Lydia Martin, the smartest girl I know who always gets the last word.

However, speaking of the smartest girl, I haven't seen Riley since we parked outside the school. I scanned the crowd every now and then for an average-sized brunette with a leather jacket, but couldn't find her anywhere. Then I'd turn my attention back to Lydia as we gently swayed on the music, only to repeat that process all over again after a minute. I didn't want her to think I was distracted - hell, I'm dancing with the girl of my dreams! Nothing could distract me at that moment. Riley was fine, probably stuffing her mouth at the snack table, or keeping to herself because she didn't really like formals.

But after a few minutes of dancing, it began to look like I wasn't the one being 'distracted'. Lydia turned her head from side to side, green eyes searching the crowd for something, "Are you okay?"

"I..." She started and fixed her gaze on me, "I just need a little break."

My heart did this weird thing where it would hurt for a second before falling to my stomach, "You mean you need to go find Jackson." She looked down, nodding her head slowly. I absentmindedly copied that gesture, "I get it."

What could I do? They've been dating a few days ago, he dumped her over a text, of course, she wasn't over him yet. It was clear as daylight when she saw him with Allison earlier. So I let her go. Because I think I might definitely love her.

After watching her disappear in the crowd of dancing students, I turned the other way and approached the punch. I heard some guys managed to spike it without Coach noticing, and damn did I need something strong that moment. The first glass went down like a waterfall, the second in two gulps, and the third I actually savoured. While standing with the glass in my hand, I searched the gym for Riley again. Where the hell was she if not at the refreshments? She hated dances, so she couldn't be in the hoard of dancing teens. But she wasn't on the sidelines either. I downed the last bit of punch from the glass before starting for the exit. Scott would be fine without me for a minute.

The hallway was a little less crowded and quieter. I fished out my phone and dialled my sister's number. It rang once, twice, thrice... no answer. Thinking that she just didn't hear it with the blaring music, I tried again. The result was the same. No answer. Well, this was getting annoying real quick. Not only did my date ditch me for her ex in the middle of our amazingly intimate dance, but my sister also didn't answer her phone. I would really like her company right now.

I tried calling her one more time, swearing when it went to voicemail once again. After almost throwing the phone at a locker, I turned to come face to face with a weirdly pale Jackson, "Where the hell have you been? Did Lydia find you?" He didn't reply, only stood there swallowing and sweating like something gross, "What's wrong?"

"I..." He stuttered, "I was... out behind the school. And I... I..."

"What happened?" I glowered at him, getting this feeling that he did something very, very bad, "Jackson, what did you do?"

I ran around the school like a rabid animal, looking for Lydia, looking for Riley, looking for Scott - for anyone! Jackson sold him out, and the Argents know he's at the dance tonight. They're gonna catch him, probably kill him, or even use him to find the Alpha. And then Lydia was gone, probably looking for Jackson while the asshole's in the school. And where the hell was Riley?! I can't do this alone...