The Link - Part 1

"Well, this beats shopping alone." I grinned as we arrived at one of the parking levels.

Scott carried all the bags with his one hand, refusing that I carry anything. He felt like it was his fault that I got hit by the car at the parent-teacher conference, while I kept telling him that it wasn't. He couldn't keep everyone safe, because, unfortunately, there was only one of him. I actually wanted to add that if he accepted Derek's help, he wouldn't have to do everything alone - though I'm pretty sure Scott won't talk to me after that.

"I'm not complaining because, at the moment, you're the only one talking to me," Scott started, "but why me?"

"Because Stiles has been interrogating me since last night and I'm pretty sure I'm going to murder him if he asks me one more question." I shrugged, "And because no one's talking to you. I figured you'd want some company."

"I really messed up last night, Riles." He sighed and rummaged through his pockets for his car keys, "I got Allison grounded, my mom's mad at me, Stiles is ignoring me, and you got hurt... if that thing last night turned out the be the Alpha and not a mountain lion, I don't think I would've been able to protect anybody."

I watched him press the button on the remote, only for his car to unlock on another parking level above us, "For the last time, it wasn't your fault. Okay, slipping school was a dumb move and dragging Allison down with you even dumber, but considering the fact that you only tried to make her have fun on her birthday, I'm letting it slide. Stiles will get over it eventually and I don't blame you for getting hurt. It was my choice to push my dad out of the way."

We climbed the stairs to the level above and found his car. Scott placed the bags down on the ground to search for his keys again. I glanced around, searching the shadows for a familiar figure. Truthfully, this wasn't just grocery chopping with Scott. I texted Derek about it and suggested that it could be the perfect opportunity to plan a surprise practice on Scott. He never replied though, so I had no idea if he was actually here or if he even got the text.

Scott pressed the button again, hearing his car unlocking yet another level up. I quirked an eyebrow, "You really have a four sense of direction sometimes, you know that?"

"It's not like a car has a heartbeat I can track." He muttered and accidentally kicked one of the bags on the ground. The milk tumbled over and rolled down the sloped parking lot, disappearing underneath a car, "Damn it!"

I grinned, "Go fetch."

Scott ran after it and nearly fell on his stomach to peer underneath the car. However, the milk came rolling right back at him, as if someone pushed it from the other side. Scott held it in the air, revealing a set of claw marks on the plastic with the white fluid leaking out.

"Run." He jumped up and grabbed my arm, "Run!"

I had no choice but to let Scott drag me behind him. He was a lot faster now that he was a werewolf, and keeping up proved to be harder all of sudden. Plus, the fact that his hand enclosed around my sprained wrists didn't help at all. We skidded around corners and ducked behind cars. I'd lie if I said that I wasn't scared. This could've been Derek or this could've been the Alpha. I hated not knowing. If only Derek replied to my text and told me of his plan.

Scott pushed me down behind a car, both of us pressing our backs to it and trying to control our heartbeats. By the speed of mine, I bet it could be heard from freaking Europe. Scott realized it as well but seemed to come up with a plan rather quickly. His rammed his shoulder into the car behind us, causing the alarm to go off.

When I realized his plan, I gave the car in front of me a light shove, grinning when it started squalling as well. We jumped from our hiding spot, bumping into cars as we ran up the next parking level. When Scott was satisfied with the noise, he pushed me down behind another car. I was just starting to get my hopes up, thinking that Scott had this one in the bag. But his phone chose that life or death moment to start ringing.