1 2

chapter twelve: show him what you're made of !

"MS. COSTNER IS there anything that you can tell me that happened between Maddy Perez and Nate Jacobs the night of the carnival?" Principal Hayes questioned Melanie, glancing at her leg shaking up and down as she sat in her chair. She swallowed. "I don't know anything but what people have told me..."

"What have people told you?" Melanie started to fumble with the buttons on her shirt. "You know, the usual..."

Principal Hayes sighed, dropping his pen and then rubbed his face with his hands. "Melanie, you are a bright student and I know this must be a rather awkward conversation to have about one of your friends..." The girl almost wanted to vomit at the word, "friend."

She wouldn't want to ever consider her and Nate Jacobs as, "friends." "But we need to know if what we are assuming is true." Melanie bit the inside of her cheek, trying to make the best decision in her head. Should she say something about what she saw? She saw everything, and it wasn't like it wasn't the truth... But then, apart of her didn't want to say anything at all. Was Melanie saying anything going to make a difference?

"I did..." she paused, thinking about her decision one last time. "I did see Nate Jacobs strangle Maddy at the carnival," she sighed. She hoped that this confession wasn't going to get her in any shit. But, even if it did, it was worth it. Fuck Nate Jacobs.

✞ ✞ ✞ ✞ ✞ ✞

"You really told Hayes about what you saw that night?" Rue asked. "What happened to you telling me to stay away from Nate Jacobs?"

Melanie continued to jot down more of her notes from her index card into her Chemistry notebook. "What about it?"

Rue looked at the curly haired girl as if she was crazy. "You clearly aren't following your own advice." Mel looked up from her book, not writing any longer. "Technically, I'm no where near Nate Jacobs. And besides I can handle him."

"Oh really?" Rue folded her arms over her chest. Rue let out a fake laugh, "You're ridiculous, you know that?" Mel grinned, going back to her work, "I know." Jules, who was sitting at the same table was the god-sisters was quiet, doodling in her notebook of little drawings. Melanie looked over to Jules who was beside her, still writing at the same time. "Jules... Jules! " She called to the girl but the blonde didn't even hear her. Melanie glanced over to Rue who shrugged her shoulders. There was something definitely wrong with Jules.

The whole day she seemed out of it, like there was no type of life in her. Melanie had also thought that it was weird that Jules didn't try to contribute to the Nate Jacobs topic; knowing that Jules always loved to take jabs at him whenever she could. It only had her wondering what happened with ShyGuy118 that night of the carnival.