1.5 Preferred Transformation Effect

Im-a cannot be considered "clean" energy. By virtue of being passed from one creature to another, it not only nourishes the spiritual sphere of the recipient, but also carries information on the spiritual structures that may be fashioned (altered, reinforced) with it, and, accordingly, the kind of thought patterns it will induce. This particular aspect of Im-a gives rise to what is known as the preferred transformation effect—the scourge of all beings divine.

Essentially, the deity's own identity and worldview may be altered by the creative force of its believers who hold their own changeful notions as to its nature (character, views, goals, operating methods, etc.). It's worth noting that the term is much more seldom applied to denote identity transformation in creatures closest to and willed by the deity.

Left to their own devices, the believers are capable of altering, sometimes even severely distorting the teachings of their "divine patrons" with remarkable rapidity. Indulging their own desires, priests may misinterpret the precepts entrusted to them from above so severely that, for example, scripture that extols compromise and being sensitive to the moods and desires of beloved creatures may be twisted to glorify flattery and manipulation. Similarly, fair and tolerant treatment for all beings may imperceptibly shrink to confines of race, nation, clan, and so forth.

Thus, the gods' perpetual war on heresy is more than simply a struggle for the purity of their teachings; indeed, the very preservation of their unique identity is at stake. Many deities employ specialists, so-called auditors of religious doctrines, tasked with reducing to a minimum the scope of interpretation of holy texts, thereby preventing worshippers from angling a complex notion manifested by the deity in an adverse way.

The existence of the preferred transformation effect is the main reason why the majority of creatures presented with the opportunity to become gods vigorously eschew the honor. Thus, immortal rulers of ancient cities, such as the Steward and the Seamstress of the Abyss), public figures renowned throughout the Infinite, like Tellyrien the Chronicler, and distinguished mages the likes of Rector Lindorg, are forced into an incessant struggle with their own followers who wish to elevate them to the "celestial throne." Each chooses a method after their liking: some sew the zealots to inside walls of caves with gray thread or dine on them, others exhort patiently and suggest different ways of serving their cause, while others yet coerce them into compulsory treatment. In contrast, the Nae are immune to the preferred transformation effect and have therefore nothing to fear.