1.4 Gods

God (goddess, deity) is a creature whose unique spiritual structure enables it to obtain unlimited quantities of Im-a from other creatures, accumulate and use at its discretion.

 Each deity embodies a particular idea—the epitome of certain aspirations and ideals shared by its adherents. By honoring the deity as their spiritual leader and following its teachings, they share with it the energy of their souls (Im-a) and bestow upon it their strength, helping it to make its lofty plans a reality. In turn, gods are able to influence the spiritual spheres of their followers, and even channel streams of Im-a onto a chosen few, granting them supernatural abilities.

 Alas, not all gods are honest with their worshippers. For some, dominion over their "subjects" is founded purely on fear and ignorance. Loathe to lose the Im-a that nourishes them, malicious deities of distant (from Enhiarg) worlds isolate them, forbidding the populace from practicing magic, and punishing cruelly any unwanted guests that might wander into their domain from Naeric territories. By fair means or foul they are determined to conceal the true state of affairs in the Infinite, and especially the existence of the Nae.

 With the arrival of the Nae, ordinary creatures tend to experience a powerful infusion of dignity and self-esteem upon discovering that their souls are neither the gods' creation nor property, that the great abundance and diversity of worlds grants them the freedom to choose where to live, who to be and whom to worship (assuming they wish to worship anyone at all), while the presence of Veindor the Merciful ensures that they need not fear punishment in the afterlife for their chosen path.

_________________

 "Open knowledge of the true nature of souls, the vast assortment of worlds, deities and worldviews, and the gods' very real dependence on their followers, for that matter—all these things greatly narrow the space of divine manipulations."

"Are there many who would manipulate you?"

"Both us and you. We're delicious, you know. And gods like to eat. Some refuse to be content with the worship of those who choose them voluntarily. Divinity is not at all synonymous with temperance or even decency. Power corrupts."

"Are you referring to the gods of poisoners, thieves and killers?"

"No. Those gods are actually more likely to be honest with their... flock. I'm not talking about gods of frauds and oppressors, but about gods who ARE frauds and oppressors. About those who sever their vassal worlds from the rest of the Infinite, transforming them into farms where their followers are milked like cattle. Either you munch on the hay I give you, lick my hands and give me your milk, or... welcome to hell."

From an interview with Ar-Dirrelejt, head of the department of applied theology

_________________

 That is why the number of deities harboring a dislike for the Nae is depressingly high, even though the latter's ascension had directly impacted only gods of death (or afterlife justice) who were "supplanted" by Veindor the Merciful.

But the Nae don't come into a world seeking to disturb the status quo. Figuratively speaking, they aim to add a new story to an already standing building. If the foundation of said building is a sound one, it will only become more solid. But if poorly designed or maintained, it will collapse. In the latter case, the Nae (and their sympathizers) always take care that nobody suffers under the rabble, and that the new building is an improvement over the old one.