1.1 The Boundless Half of Infinity

So, although the events in the books take place mainly in the eponymous world, Enhiarg as a setting actually encompasses a considerably larger portion of the universe, known as the Infinite. The Infinite represents the aggregate of an incalculable number of worlds that lie on one side of the Rib of Realms—a mysterious barrier that had once sundered the Universe into two enormous sections.

Enhiargeans believe that over the course of evolutionary processes that no mortal (or immortal, for that matter) intelligence could comprehend, the Infinite acquired a kind of ability to feel (on the level of "I feel good / I feel bad"). Then, after some introspection, he realized that there were more bad feelings than good, and decided to sort himself out, i.e. to harmonize. The suitable plan for reorganization was found in the works of several philosophers that dwelled in him. However, the Infinite was ill-equipped to execute the plan for want of his own insufficient sentience. The plan's authors were likewise powerless. The task called for minds and souls of an entirely different caliber. Not the souls of gods, not even the souls of world creators fit the bill.

One can only guess how the Infinite's fate would have played out if the other, nameless section of the Universe hadn't presented him with an unexpected gift—several powerful and intelligent creatures who would come to be known as the Naé—"the Arrivals."