sixteen

chapter sixteenReady to Comply

chapter sixteen
Ready to Comply

The first warm day of early summer marked two years of Bucky's time with the Smiths and with Ray. It had been a long two years and Bucky found himself remembering with a smile of how lucky he had been.

The two years were a blissful grace, a heaven hidden in the middle of nowhere.

Bucky was out in the corn field with Cory, tending the land and making sure it was growing and everything was set for this fall.

He was dressed in dark jeans and a white tank top. His insecurity of his arm had passed; Ray helped him accept that his arm was a sort of him now. Besides, no one made fun of him. They all thought it was cool.

The sun was low in the sky by the time that Bucky and his friend finished their work. The farm had grown more empty. There weren't many people in Maple Woods that needed a place to stay anymore. Only Bucky was there. And Jack.

The work between Cory and him had been greatly expanded. Bailey and Ray had the unfortunate responsibility in having to help out as well.

But the work day had come to an end at last, and Ray found Bucky as he was walking back to the house.

"Hey stranger." Ray smiled. "I've got a surprise for you."

Bucky wiped his forehead as he looked at her. "What?"

She smiled and took his large hand in hers. "Come on, Buck."

He allowed her to lead him off the corn fields and down the long path to the house. But just as he thought she was leading him into the house, she led him towards the barn he used to stay in.

It was mostly empty now. The sisters that used to live here had long since moved on, after finding jobs and an apartment for themselves closer to the city. So the entire barn was empty.

"What are we doing here?"

"Did you know that two years ago today, Bailey brought your sorry ass to this farm?" She asked.

Bucky shook his head. "No, I didn't."

"I thought that in that busy house, we could have some alone time out here. To reflect on our time together." She looked at him with a sweet smile.

"Ray, come on, we've been working all day." Bucky laughed. "I want to take a shower."

"Ah, I thought you would say that. Come along, young child." She pulled him into the small bathroom, where she had already hidden towels and clothes for the two of them.