4 || My Wings

Sans, Papyrus, Undyne, and my footsteps echo around the dark lab. I squint my eyes in an attempt to see better. I'm able to make out the outlines of some things, but nothing more than that.

Until I see the monitor, that is.

It's a massive screen, about a hundred inches across, and it's showing a live feed of me. I stop in my tracks and stare up at it, dumbfounded.

  "S-Sorry for the darkness, I'll t-turn on the lights," Undyne says, moving cautiously to the other end of the lab. As she does this, Papyrus and Sans stand at my side, looking at the monitor.

  "Undyne must be a pretty big fan of ya, hon," Papyrus says, elbowing me lightly.

  "Um...yeah," I reply. Suddenly, the lights come on, temporarily blinding me. Once my eyes adjust, I see Undyne coming over to us with a look of complete embarrassment on her face.

  "Omigosh, I'm so sorry about that!" She exclaims, "It's just that y-you're basically a legend! I mean, you're the angel from the prophecy!"

  "Prophecy?" I ask.

  "W-Well, it's been said that the angel, the one who's seen the surface, will come to the underground and free the monsters! A f-few have interpreted it as something d-darker, saying that it's 'the angel of death'," Undyne says.

  "You do fit the description..." Papyrus says.

  "WOWIE! ARE YOU GOING TO GET US TO THE SURFACE, HUMAN (Y/N)?" Sans asks, bouncing excitedly.

  "Uh, I'm not sure," I reply, scratching the back of my neck, "from what I heard in my mother's stories, the barrier can only be broken by an extremely powerful being,"

  "You're v-very powerful, though!" Undyne points out, "Your soul trait is faith, the strongest trait out there!" I hum thoughtfully.

  "A-Anyway, what brings you all here?" She asks.

  "Well, (Y/N) here has wings, but I'm guessing you already know that," Papyrus says. Undyne blushes slightly.

  "I want to figure out how to get them to appear by command, not just when she's in danger. I want her outta here," He continues.

  "Why d-do you want her to leave?" Undyne asks, "She could save us all from being trapped down here!"

  "Erm...it's complicated," Papyrus replies. Undyne narrows her eyes at this but says nothing.

  "I DO NOT WANT HER TO LEAVE!" Sans says, rushing over to me and hugging me tightly, "I WANT HER TO TRY MY TACOS!!" I hug him back gently.

  "Thanks, Sans," I say with a smile. Sans glares at his brother, still keeping his arms around my midsection.

"Okay, let's figure out your wings here," Undyne says. Papyrus pulls Sans off of me so the scientist can look me over.

Her eyes scan me for a few moments and she hums to herself.

"Could you show me your soul?" She asks.

"Uh, sure!" I reply. I phase my soul out of my chest and everyone shields their eyes at its brightness.

"Wow..." Undyne breathes, "I've never seen one like this before,"

  "Is that good or bad?" I ask nervously.

  "To be honest, I'm not sure," Undyne replies. She places her hand under my soul carefully and it floats inches above her palm.

  "Papyrus, you said her wings only appear when she's in danger, right?" She asks. Papyrus nods.

  "Okay, so there has to be some part of your soul that triggers the appearance of them. You just have to focus on that and try to get them to show up," Undyne says.

  "Well...when I'm fighting, I always use my little brother as motivation," I say, "I pretend like I'm fighting to keep him safe whenever I go into battle,"

  "Good! Just think really hard about how you want to protect your brother and see if that works," Undyne says.

  "Okay," I say, taking a deep breath. I close my eyes shut and visualize the night I'll never forget.

The night my parents were murdered in a shooting.

+++

  "Go now! Hide with Caleb behind that wall, it's the safest place to be!" Dad hisses. I nod rapidly and grab Caleb's small hand. He's just two years old and has no idea what's happening. Heck, he can barely walk.

The last thing I see of them is when they run to join the rest of the police officers trying to control the shooter.

Caleb and I dart behind the concrete wall near us and I try my best to comfort him.

  "It'll be alright, buddy," I whisper, petting his curly hair, "Mommy and Daddy are police officers. They're strong and super smart, they'll stop that bad man," An adorable smile forms on Caleb's lips and happy tears form in my eyes.

My happiness disappears when I hear gunshots.

I poke my head out from behind the wall and clap my hand over my mouth in horror.

Mom and Dad...

Oh god.

The screams from bystanders turn to whispers as I stare at the terrible scene before me. I fight to keep a shout down in my throat as more shots are fired.

  "C-Caleb..." I whisper shakily, "I'm gonna keep y-you safe. You're n-not gonna suffer l-like them, okay?" My baby brother stares up at me cluelessly, his brown eyes wide and innocent.

The rest of the world disappears from my mind and my only priority becomes protecting my sweet little brother.

+++

My body shakes with silent sobs and my knees become weak. Undyne rushes over and catches me before I collapse on the white tile floor. She comforts me as I cry into her shoulder, clutching her lab coat as if my life depends on it.

  "Oh, (Y/N)...I'm so sorry. I didn't m-mean to make you c-cry!" She stutters.

  "It's okay, U-Undyne," I sniffle, "it's not y-your fault," Papyrus stands awkwardly next to the monitor and Sans looks at me pitifully.

After a few minutes of comforting, I finally let go of Undyne and thank her.

Papyrus looks at his watch and his eye sockets widen.

  "Hey, it's almost two in the morning and I think we should be heading home," He says.

  "Oh, of course," Undyne says, "go ahead,"

  "...Get better, hon," Papyrus says before leading Sans out of the lab. Sans gives me a little wave and I wave back. The doors shut behind the skelebros and Undyne clears her throat.

  "Since I'm guessing y-you don't have a place to st-stay, would you like to spend the night here?" She asks.

  "That sounds great, thanks Undyne," I say, smiling gratefully.

After that, Undyne pulled out a sleeping bag from her closet and let me sleep in her room with her. We talked a bit about life on the surface then quieted down eventually.

Laying on the ground listening to the gentle hum of the air conditioning, I close my eyes and let the tension leave my body, glad to finally get some rest.

+++