Scene four

Naofumi woke with a start, gasping for breath heavily as sweat poured down his face. Before his mind could match up to his surroundings like where he was, the time or the reason, two pairs of strong arms wrapped around him before he went into another episode. Trembling, his body shook for awhile for his breathing to go return to normal and just barely hearing the two voices talking in his presence.

"A fever, L'Arc he's burning up," Therese calmly informed him as she felt Naofumi's forehead with the back of her hand. The other, once he confirmed that the shielder seemed stable enough, let go as he laid his back onto the sheets. "Why?" He heard the soft murmur and looked back into slightly opened green emeralds. They weren't looking at him though. They were staring right through him as if he were transparent to those dilated orbs.

"He seems to be in a bit of a daze. Must be because of the fever." She explained as she hurried her way out to get a cloth and a bowl of water.

"Why do I have to go through all this?"

All that L'Arc could do was softly caressed the uneven black locks until the ill raven fell asleep. Looking at him attentively, he noticed how the colour had drained from the hero's face as he grew paler and tickles of red came over them. Though, he slept peacefully, L'Arc wondered if that would last after seeing him go through a few episodes of waking up as if he had been attacked in his dreams.

Because of this, they won't be able to move until Naofumi got better. And who knows how long that would take. Therese came back and started to tend to Naofumi's condition. Draping a wet towel over his head and having him take some medicine that would hopefully make things better. "L'Arc, how long do you suppose we stay here. Do you think Glass would approve of your 'idea'?"

At this, he thought for a moment, "I'm sure Glassy would understand. I'll come up with something along the way." He shot her his signature grin, hoping that they do find a way to help the shield hero. There has to be a way.

Then, dropping whatever cheerful pleasure he had, into what you'd call 'doubt' "it's just that, we can't just leave him here. Can we, Therese?" He asked eyes big and hopes high for a decent answer from his partner. "He has his party members, Raphtalia and Filo, he should be fine"

"I can't argue there, but" his gaze fell onto the now peaceful face, sleeping "how much could they do and the other wannabe heroes aren't much help either. Man, how did they even survive the waves?" It was pointed obvious that L'Arc had absolutely no faith in the people who were supposed to take care of him. If they did, Kiddo over here wouldn't be having insomnia and should not still be so traumatised with... with whatever they've put him through.

For now, they took care of him as best as they could. Therese theorised that the result of using those cursed flames would drain the user, added that Naofumi was confirmed ill and unfit to travel.

The night past and the fever soon lifted, however dazed the hero was, he suspected that his enemies would have killed him already if they wanted to. Now he's left confused with their motives of keeping him alive.

Right now, they were packing up to leave the inn as Naofumi tried to process his current situation. "Thanks for... caring for me while I was sick."

He received a genuine warm smile from both of them, "No problem, kiddo. Now hurry up before we miss breakfast!" Ever so loud and cheerful this early in the morning, Therese merely giggled at his antics. 'Breakfast, huh?' He's reminded of the last time he had a proper breakfast with the whole gang. Has he ever though? The question remained unanswered, as he was called down the flight of stairs.

It wasn't anything luxurious or overly exaggerated like how the castle would often prepare meals, just a simple diner near the inn with a simple scenery to go with. Like any other breakfast in a fantasy world, it was sufficient to fill ones' stomach. However, the churn was still there for long as Naofumi held his tongue. That is, until he broke the silence.