Scene two

"Naofumi-sama ?"

The door to said hero's chambers creaked open. Slowly, the lovely 'tanuki' girl peeked inside to look for the man she chose to follow. It had been nice of the Queen to provide them living spaces in the castle but saddens Raphtalia that she's unable to see Naofumi as often as she used to. She still strives for him to acknowledge her as a grown adult but he always kept her by his side as a partner either way. And she strives the same, to always stay by him no matter what. Filo probably wanted that too.

No reply.

That's odd, Naofumi would usually be up at this time in the morning. Just to be sure, she called for him again. Alas, the second time... still no answer. Walking in, the first thing she saw aside from the decorations the room was set with, were the thick layers of blankets that had fallen off the bed. The bed that Naofumi had curled up in a ball on, shivering in his sleep. Seeing this, Raphatlia swiftly rushed to his side. "Naofumi?" Softly she said, to avoid unnecessary panic from her Master. The deep breathing she heard was enough to collect him in her arms as he fought off his own nightmares.

Gently, she rocked him as if he were a new born child that had startled in their sleep. 'There, there' she would usher. "It's going to be alright Naofumi-sama. I'm here" she'd whisper that multiple times in her softest voice until the young man in her arms finally stopped trembling.

Once those emerald eyes would open, he would keep clinging to her until he felt safe. Until all the pain of these memories finally fade away... for the day.

'I'm sorry Raphtalia, I'm so sorry. Don't' .Concealing his eyes on her shoulders he uttered those words repeatedly. Raphtalia wasn't quite sure what or why he apologise to her for but again this just made her hold him tighter. At these moments, only she would see her master at his most vulnerable. Holding to dear life as if it would've slipped away easily from his grasp. Sometimes he'd sob until all his tears had dried. Some days, it seems best to just stay in bed but... duty calls. And there was nothing Naofumi, Raptalia, the Queen nor anybody could do about that. The waves don't stop for anyone.

It's these times, she realise that she had to be there for him. Like the many times he'd been there for her. So help the world, she wouldn't leave his side for anything!

Yet that had never extinguished her curiosity.

Why was this happening to Naofumi?

Was it Myne?

What could she do to stop it?

Was it that hopeless?

A bitterness had crept onto her face at the thought of their own haplessness. There had to be something that could help Naofumi with this heart wrenching pain. She just hasn't found it yet.

"Raphtalia?"

Her stern and worried expression melted into a soft and gentle one. As she held the man to lean against her, whispering sweet nothings into his ears to calm him down. "Thank you". The soft voice was almost breaking, tearing if anybody else would have heard it. "It's okay Naofumi-sama. I won't let anybody hurt you ever again."

'Even if... I have to put aside my own feelings first'

⚔️🛡⚔️

A blazing blue sky poured down torrents of light through those decorative windows, casting multiple colours upon the heroes inside. A gathering was held in the throne room and the Queen had requested (literally had to call them) an audience with the four Cardinal Heroes.  Fortunately, everyone was able to present themselves this fine morning... everyone but The Shield Hero.