Eight - Stars

I don't know how long I followed Soul for, but it must have been a pretty long time. It was quite dark when he stopped.

We were in the middle of a dark forest. It was getting cold.

"Where are we?" I asked Soul.

"Here." Soul replied calmly.

"Where is here?" I asked.

Soul ignored me. He was staring up at the sky watching the sun as it slowly began to fall.

"Where?" I asked again.

"Here." Soul repeated.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"I am Soul." He replied calmly and smoothly his voice filling my mind once again.

"But who are you?" I asked.

"I am Soul." He repeated.

I was quiet. It was very dark now. The sun had disappeared behind the trees.

"Where are you from?" I asked.

"A place." He told me.

I smiled.

"So." I looked up at the sky. It was dark. "Why did you bring me here?" I asked.

"You have too many questions." Soul said. He didn't seem annoyed. His voice sounded expressionless.

"But why?"

Soul just smiled. "Look up."

I looked up into the deep darkness of the sky. Millions and zillions of stars. I smiled.
"Lila?" Soul asked.
I looked back at him.
"Sometimes we lose things." He said.
"I know." I answered. My voice was quiet.
"But we don't give up."
I was silent.
"Even when one star falls the others do not all follow." Soul spoke calmly.
"How do you know?" I asked.
"I know." Soul replied. "Don't give up. One day the world may need you Lila."
Suddenly I was back on the bus. The windows were wet but clear. The driver was in his seat and the engine was rumbling.
At the next stop I got off the bus. It wasn't raining anymore but it was still cold. I was on a bridge above the river. I wondered what bridge I was on. Suddenly I began to panic. I wanted to leap back onto the bus. I turned around. It was already gone. My heart began to beat two times faster.
"Don't panic." I said.
A lady who had been walking past stopped and looked at me.
I stepped backwards bumping into a lamppost. She shook her head then began to walk away.
I was lost. I'd never been lost before and I was scared. Really scared. I tapped my pocket and realised I'd left my phone at home. I felt sick.

I looked up into the sky. Remembering Soul's words. I could get back. I just had to think. I had to clear my mind. I had to relax.
So I sat down there in the middle of the pavement and closed my eyes. I blocked out the noise of the cars and the people. I thought of the stars in the sky. I imagined them up there, guiding me. I stood. My eyes still glued shut. The stars would lead me. I began to walk. Confident. Unafraid. The felt Soul's spirit beside me protecting me. I felt safe. I was unaware of the danger.
Suddenly my eyes snapped open.
I was going to die.
The car screamed towards me. I choked on a gasp. I felt a hand on mine. Nails dug into my skin and I cried out. Suddenly I was on the pavement. A boy stood next to me.
"What the hell?" He spoke quietly. He was a tourist. Australian.
"Soul..." I whispered. But the strange spiritual being was gone.
"That was close." The boy breathed. "Be careful kid."
"Me?" I looked up.
"Yeah. Who else would I be talking to?"
"Who are you?" I said. I was shocked and scared. I felt betrayed. Soul had betrayed me. I was nearly dead because of him.
"My name's Miguel," He spoke. "But that's really the least of our problems."
A large crowd had formed and I looked around. I suddenly felt very scared and overwhelmed.
"Please. I just want to be alone." I said hiding in my hands.
"It's Okay." Miguel said. "I can help."
Then he led me away.