Chapter 6

At his words, I stopped struggling.

I tick in my jaw strained as I clenched my mouth shut tight. There were so many things I wanted to scream at him, but I swallowed them down. I tried my best to ignore the ache in my heart, but too much to my dismay the tears brim at the corner of my eyes.

It was hard to keep my composure but I knew I'd have to. Not for me, though.

I watched Foster's gaze glide around my face. As if he wanted process my reaction but I don't say anything. He raised his eyebrow at my compromising silence.

"Mag-?" He wanted to coax the answer out of me, but I stopped him.

"Let me go." I breathed as soon as he spoke, and turned my face away from him. I didn't want him to read me, ask me questions I won't be able to answer.

Just when I assumed he wouldn't let me go until I told him, he dropped my hands so they hung between us. I placed the palms of my hands on his chest and pushed against him. Just as fast as mine, Foster's heart beat rapidly, but I needed to get away before I could understand his response.

"Don't like a taste of your own medicine?" He made sense but he had no clue what he wanted know was something I had deliberately tried to forget.

"You don't know anything, Foster." I shoved him hard, creating space between us, and I stepped around him. With one quick look at my upset appearance, he leaned back against the countertops and gave me enough room to move around him.

I was met with Jess's confused expression but I didn't pay any mind to it. Instead, I walked straight out of the bathroom, with Jess in tow, and out of Foster's room.

"Maggie?" I heard Jess say my name curiously, probably wondered what just occurred between me and Foster, or why I left her behind suddenly.

All I knew was that I had to get away from Foster. He walked on a very thin line, a line that everyone back home always knew not to cross. Even Cassie knew not to ask me questions about her, being that her parents most likely warned her not to.

It was easy to not remember when there was nothing left of her, but, Foster had brought up something that no one ever dared. I haven't had to nein in my feelings for years, and now he was about to blow it for me. Yes, I had to get far away from him.

I moved smoothly through his house, ran down the stairs and out the front door. Jess wasn't the footsteps I heard following me out of the house, and as if to confirm my suspicious he sighed aggravated.

"Why don't you ever tell me anything?" He asked sarcastically. He said, openly, the same I said to him earlier as if it placed me in his shoes.

To my disapproval, Foster followed Jess and I out of his house and onto my grass. I almost faced him to demand that he'd get lost, I wanted him to turn around and go home, but I froze when I saw my dad's car as it pulled into the driveway. His car creaked as he yanked the emergency brake into place, and I knew it only took him a few seconds to get out of the car.

I needed to get Foster to shut up and fast.

Before I thought of a better option, I gripped onto the front of his t-shirt and spun us around so turn his back was to my dad.

"I get it, okay? We both have things we don't want to talk about." I gave him a pleaded look. His face had tightened prepared for a slap that never happened, and he acted as if I was going to attack him. Foster glanced down at the scrunched fabric of his shirt and failed to cover up his stunned expression as he played with his lip ring, meticulously tugged it into his mouth and paused.

"Just please stop talking." Finally, he listened, all the while he wrapped his hand over mine fisted to his shirt. What is he thinking about now?

"Foster..."