Chapter 21

Suddenly the car door behind Foster opened, and both Foster and I leaned away from each other at the sound of it. Gazing into Foster's eyes, I watched as he became slightly irritated from being interrupted and it made me smile at his reaction.

"Hey, someone just came home." Michael's urgent whisper caused Foster's head to snap up, and his expression changed. He tensed as he looked over at the house.

Glancing over, I saw a car going into the garage and a couple of moments later the garage door closes behind it. We all stay silent waiting for Foster to say something first. Michael's had a watchful gaze on Foster, but Jess, who was standing behind Michael, kept glancing over at the house.

Foster acted like he didn't know what to think, so I leaned in close to him and put a comforting hand on his back.

"You can do this, what's the worst that can happen—?" I asked Foster softly, but stopped talking when he gave me a pained expression. With a heavy sigh, Foster composed himself then stepped out of the car to Michael's surprise.

Michael stumbled back from the car almost slamming into Jess. To stop him from running into her, she put her hands up and placed them flat on Michael's back. She practically sprung backwards in embarrassment, but Michael turned to her and apologized for bumping into her in the first place.

Seeing their interaction, I smiled and looked over at Foster who was raising an eyebrow at me in amusement. Shaking my head at him, I pushed him the rest of the way out of the car and scooted out myself.

I heard Foster shut the door behind me as I walked over to Jess, whose face was slightly flushed.

"Getting some action?" I whispered the question to her smiling as I leaned in close so the guys couldn't hear me. she looped her arm around mine tugging me in close.

"My entire front was pressed up against his back," She embarrassingly whispered back. "Is it wrong for me to want it to happen again?" Jess jokingly asked me.

I raised my eyebrow suggestively, "It would look strange if I kept shoving Mike into you."

"Yeah you're right."

I looked over at the boys. Michael was talking to Foster quietly, but Foster didn't seem to be listening to Michael as he kept his gaze on me. I quickly looked back to Jess, who was giving me a curious expression.

"What happened to you two?" She asked me with concern, "I didn't know what was going on until he was suddenly in your face. Maggie, I totally wish I would've done something for you then."

"It's fine. I mean we're fine... that's why I wanted to talk to him. It would've been awkward meeting his mom like that."

"Are you together?"

I really didn't know how to answer that.

"It's complicated, Jess." I told her honestly before sighing.

She looked about to question me further, but once her mouth opened a hand lands on my shoulder. Spinning around expecting it was Foster, I quickly noticed a familiar 50-watt smile.

"Hey, didn't mean to interrupt—"

"It's okay, um, we we're just finished talking." I smiled at Michael and he gave an unreadable glance at Jess before giving a head nod in the direction of Foster's mom's house. Looking over, I noticed Foster standing in front with his gaze intently on the house.

Walking away from Jess and Michael, I stood next to Foster.

"So...how is this going to go down?" I heard Jess ask coming up to stand behind me.