21

21

 Speaking to Thomas had made Pasty feel a little better, but she knew she still had to speak to Minho and Newt. She waited until Minho got back from the Maze the next day after Thomas’ first training session, and then the three of them took a walk around the Glade. Minho watched Pasty with curiosity, but didn’t push her to say anything. He knew, as he always did, how to act with her. He knew she’d speak when she was ready. Newt looked uncertain as they walked in silence, but he followed Minho’s lead.

 It turned out that telling Minho everything was hard. Pasty realised that as they walked. There was a niggling fear that he’d change his mind when he knew who Teresa really was. It wasn’t the same with Newt. He hadn’t invested in Pasty the same way Minho had. Minho had given her everything to be with her. And he was just about to find out something about Pasty that could potentially change his mind. If Pasty’s suspicions about Teresa were true, and they really were sisters, then why should Minho put himself in danger for her?

 The three of them stopped at the West Door and sat with their backs against it. Pasty bit at some loose skin on her thumb.

 “I’m not crazy,” she began.

 “Like we believe that,” Newt said, rolling his eyes “But we don’t care. What’s goin’ on shuck face?”

 “Everything is going to change,” Pasty muttered. She pressed the heel of her hand into her head. It was aching and the muscles in her back were tense. Minho’s hand slipped around her discreetly and pressed against the small of her back. His touch was so tender that Pasty allowed herself to relax a little.

 “I…I spoke to Teresa. In the same way Thomas did,” Pasty said. She swallowed “She told me…she told me we’re sisters.”

 She was met with silence. She avoided eye contact with them both for a moment, until braving a glance at Minho. To her surprise, he didn’t look shocked at all. He smiled awkwardly and shrugged.

 “Look, Pasty, we kind of already figured. Everyone’s been thinking it this whole time,” Minho said.

 “But…it doesn’t bother you? With what I know of before, if we’re sisters-”

 “Pasty, stop torturing yourself. For all we know, back in the real world me and Gally are married and we’ve adopted bloody Chuck. This is who we are now. Before doesn’t matter,” Newt reasoned “What’s important now is that when Teresa wakes, we find out what she knows. But we treat her as we treat any Newbie until we know more.”

 Pasty nodded, relief spreading through her body. Newt shook his head and patted his friend’s cheek.

 “You need to rest. You’re stressin’ too much,” he said. Pasty nodded as Newt walked away, watching him limp towards the Homestead. Minho’s grip on her grew tighter and he pulled her in closer.

 “How long as this been bothering you?” he whispered into her hair.

 “A while.”

 “I’ll never change my mind, you know. About you.”

 Pasty buried her face into Minho’s chest “I know now,” she whispered “I should always have known.”

***

 Pasty’s sleep was disturbed by a chilling dream that woke her, her forehead covered in a sheen of sweat. She was comforted quickly by Minho next to her, but she couldn’t help recalling the details of it. In the dream, sterile white rooms were filled by men and women dressed in white, whispering and leaning over her body. She could only hear snippets of the conversation. She heard the words “different” and “unsuitable” and “special.” She couldn’t remember what relevance the words had to the dream, but the words still made her want to shiver.

 Pasty stretched and stood, deciding a walk was preferable to going back to sleep. Sleep meant dreams and dreams meant more horrors awaiting her. For Pasty, sleep was often worse than what the Maze offered her. Even after the things she’d seen in the Maze, at least in waking she had her friends. In her dreams, she was alone. Lost. Afraid.

 Pasty’s ears pricked as she heard rustling in the trees. A dark shadow could be seen running through them to the Deadheads. Pasty immediately began to run. She’d grown to have a suspicious mind. What’s someone doing in there? It’s the middle of the night Pasty thought.

 If the night was dark, the forest was even darker. Pasty could barely see as she stumbled blindly through the trees. She couldn’t hear anything, but the sound of her thudding footsteps. She stopped, breathing hard, listening. It was painfully quiet. She was about to give up and turn back. Then, she felt the tap on her shoulder. Pasty whipped around. There, before her, covered in dirt and his shirt ripped, was someone she’d not seen in a while.

 “Missed me?” Gally smiled. Then his fist slammed into her face.

A/N: Hey guys! Sorry this is a really short chapter, but I've just had a new idea for this story thats really going to improve it! I've got big plans for the Scorch Trials, but I've been struggling with this storyline a little recently, so I'm excited to find a new direction. In the next chapter, everything will start coming together about Pasty and her abilities. For now, though, I hope you like this chapter!

 Ps. My story, Stripes, is entered in the Wattys. It would be awesome if you checked it out! x