25

“Pasty, shut your damn hole!” Newt hissed.

 Pasty kept screaming. Minho jerked into action, slamming his hand over her mouth.

 “Pasty, shh. The Grievers are here. You’re going to get everyone killed!”

 Pasty couldn’t hear him. Her body was convulsing and her hands flew to her head. She grasped at her hair, the rumble of her scream vibrating against Minho’s hand. Newt threw his hands up in frustration and went to look out the boarded up windows. He turned back to Minho.

 “You keep her quiet! What the hell is wrong with her?”

 “How should I know, klunk head?” Minho clamped his hand down harder on Pasty’s mouth, praying he wasn’t hurting her “Pasty. Pasty, shh. What’s wrong?”

 But Pasty couldn’t seem to stop screaming for long enough to say. Minho could feel the fear starting to eat at him. He felt it in the ache in his muscles, in the hot sweat that beaded on his forehead. Things were bad. Really bad. Both outside the Homestead and inside. Minho knew he could die tonight, but he feared more for Pasty. His first and only love, lying in a crying heap on the floor.

 “Pasty, are you in pain? Can you tell me that?”

 Pasty managed to nod her head.

 “Where does it hurt?”

 Pasty clutched her head harder, which Minho took as her answer. Suddenly, the building gave a huge shudder. The Grievers were closer. So close, in fact, that they were shaking the walls. Quiet gasps circulated around the room, and still, Pasty screeched. Minho stroked her hair desperately.

 “Pasty, you’re going to be OK, I promise. Just stay calm. Stay calm, OK?” His hands were shaking. He could feel Pasty’s hot tears running over his fingers. Pasty was anything but calm.

 Try talking to her. Tell her something nice. Something she’ll like.

 “Hey, Pasty. I know you don’t remember…but the day we met, you challenged me to a race.”

 Pasty’s body was moving less now, and her eyes were partly closed. Her screams had become a whimper, and she was breathing slowly. As though she was dying. Minho tried not to panic and carried on talking.

 “You told me you were fast, but damn, you were good, Pasty. Really good. And I got cocky, thinking I was bound to win. I said if I won, you had to kiss me. And damn, I was so shucking pissed when I didn’t get it. I mean, I guess I did eventually…but I knew, Pasty. From the day we met. Even though you were the only girl here, even though I don’t remember any other girls…there are no other girls. Not for me. Just you. Always you.”

 Pasty’s body was still. Her clothes were drenched in sweat. When Minho peeled his hand away from her mouth, her lips were chapped, but she wasn’t screaming anymore. Minho checked for a pulse and it was very much there, but he was scared she’d gone into a coma again. Either way, she was out for the count.

 She missed Gally’s grand entrance.

 He burst through the door, eyes wild as he dropped to his knees. His skin was smudged with dirt and his clothes had been ripped and torn; as though an animal had been tearing at him. His breathing was hot and heavy, as though he’d been with a lover, but that was far from the case. His speech was a scream.

 “They’ll kill you! The Griever’s will kill you all – one every night till it’s over!” As confused and scared Gladers exchanged glances, Gally hobbled his way over to Newt and Thomas, still stood by the window. He waggled his finger at Thomas, his teeth gritted “You,” he growled “It’s all your fault!”

 Gally balled his hand into a fist and slammed it into Thomas’ ear. Thomas fell to the floor, but quickly got back up again, staring indignantly at his attacker. Gally had lost interest in him anyway. Minho pulled Pasty closer to him as Gally’s mad eyes swept over them. He grinned.

 “It can’t be solved. Just ask her.” Gally pointed at Pasty’s limp body “She’ll tell you. She knows. The shuck Maze’ll kill all you shanks…the Grievers’ll kill you…one every night till it’s over…their stupid Variables…”

 Variables? What the hell does he mean? Minho pondered.

 “Gally, shut your bloody hole – there’s a Griever right outside the window. Just sit on your butt and be quiet – maybe it’ll go away.”

 “You don’t get it, Newt. You’re too stupid – you’ve always been too stupid! There’s no way out – there’s no way to win! They’re gonna kill you, all of you – one by one!

 Gally dived for the window and began to rip away at the boards covering the window – their only protection. Then all descended into chaos. Newt attempted to stop him, and Gally smashed at his face, sending him sprawling in spray of blood and knocking him unconscious. Boys began to grab at Gally, but Minho sank further into the wall, dragging Pasty out of the way. Then he watched as a Griever appeared in the window, it’s mechanical arm reaching for Newt’s body. Gally was still screaming and talking nonsense. He turned to Thomas, who looked terrified.

 “Don’t go back to the real world, Thomas. You don’t…want…to remember!”

 And that was the moment that Gally threw himself at the Griever. Minho watched in horror as Gally sunk into its bulbous skin, and the Griever’s arm diverted from Newt to wrap around Gally’s legs. It began to retreat towards the Maze and Minho ran to the window, only to see that the other Grievers were following suit.

 And Minho knew then what he had to do.

 No one was watching as he ran for the stairs. He bust through the front door and took off at top speed towards the Maze. He thought he heard someone call his name, but he didn’t look back.

 He was going into the Maze.

***

 “There he is!”

 Minho was panting for breath when Newt and Thomas came into view. He was nearly back at the Glade, with an important discovery.

 “What were you doing, idiot?” Thomas asked as Minho reached them, panting hard.

 “I just…wanted to…make sure.”

 “Make sure of what? Lotta good you’d be, taken with Gally,” Newt said, sounding pissed. Minho pinched his friend’s cheek.

 “Alright, princess, slim it. I just wanted to see if they went towards the Cliff. Towards the Griever hole.”

 “And?” Thomas asked eagerly.

 “Bingo.”

 But as good a discovery as it was, they had other problems. Newt pointed to the Map Room, which had black smoke curling from the remains of its roof. Minho stared at it in disbelief. I didn’t think anyone would actually destroy it. Good thing we moved the Maps.

 Newt patted Minho’s arm “You go take care of your girl. She’s in a bad way. I’ll check out the damage.

 Minho had felt bad enough leaving Pasty in the first place, so he ran for the Homestead, even though he was completely out of breath. The Med Jacks were caring for her when he reached her. He fell to his knees beside her, touching her feverish forehead.

 “Has she woken up at all?”

 Clint shook his head “You know Pasty, though. She always pulls through. Especially if you’re with her. She responds to you.”

 Minho nodded. As though on cue, Pasty began to stir beneath his touch. And then, her eyes snapped open, making them all jump. Her eyes moved slowly to meet Minho’s.

 “I remembered,” she whispered.