Chapter 9

I didn't say anything. I knew it was a weak attempt but if I didn't say anything, there was a chance he'd think he was mistaken. However, I knew my luck on my side when he kept talking.

"I know you're hiding. Come out or I'll find you myself," Shaun demanded.

I still kept stationary, until he started walking to where I was hiding. I knew he was pointing a gun at me and was waiting for me to fall into his trap, so I took out my own gun and shot at about where his hands should be. I heard a scream in pain and a gun clatter to the ground, and I took that chance to get out of my cover.

Shaun was bleeding from his hand, still too absorbed in the pain to do anything. I took his gun and handcuffed him, "I can't believe I have to do this, but... you're under arrest for threatening to kill me and possible murder of Kaede..."

(Your POV)

Shuichi: I know this is really random, but can I crash at your place tonight?

You raised a brow at his sudden request. You knew it was probably super important, so you replied immediately.

Me: What happened?

Shuichi: My house may not be safe, I can give the details later.

Me: Holy shit, then get outta there!

You waited for about ten minutes, and then Shuichi arrived. You didn't see his car in your driveway, but you figured he didn't want to leave any trace of himself. He was holding a duffel bag that was clearly neatly prepared.

"Sorry for the short notice..." Shuichi apologized.

"It's fine, I'm willing to help out a friend any time!" You smiled, "Do you want coffee or anything?"

"I'm fine, thanks," Shuichi sat down on your couch, placing his bag beside him.

"Now then, tell me what the hell happened!" You demanded.

"...Kaede was murdered, and... I found out that Shaun was the k-killer... he threatened to kill me so I had to shoot him and then arrest him... a-and then I found a bomb that was set to go off the moment I turned on my lights..." Shuichi explained.

"Wait, WHAT?!" You gasped.

"I-I don't know who did it... I would've investigated myself, but... I didn't wanna accidentally set off the bomb or be there any longer in case there were any more traps," Shuichi sighed.

You were already closing all your windows and blinds, making sure everything was locked. "Well, you should be safe in my guest bedroom. It has its own lock and there's plenty of places to run or hide, whatever's best I guess..."

"Thank you for letting me stay here, really..." Shuichi smiled shyly.

"Like I said, anything to help a friend," You assured.

Shuichi chuckled a little, and then got on his phone. You let him be, walking into the kitchen and making yourself (snack). You hummed quietly to yourself for a few moments, and looked at your closed windows in a bit of thought.

(Shuichi's POV)

You know the answers... stop running away from the truth. And how come you think of this of all things? You should be more worried about what Shaun might be up to, not (Y/N)... aargh!!

I groaned, taking off my hat that had collected sweat from earlier. I felt the ahoge I tried so hard to conceal spike up, and I sighed. It's funny how I'm so calm when my life is potentially in danger and I can actually be bothered about how my hair looks.

"Woah! Your hat's gone!" (Y/N) cheered, standing at the entrance to the living room.

"I-it's not a big deal..." I awkwardly scratched the back of my head, looking away in embarrassment.

"It's a huge deal cuz I've never seen you without it!" (Y/N) declared.

I didn't say anything, since drowsiness was beginning to run me down. (Y/N) noticed, giggling. "Sorry, are you tired? You're welcome to go to sleep any time you want, I just made sure the guest room was all tidy."

"Thanks..." I smiled shyly and picked up my bag, "Ah... where is your guest room? S-sorry..."

"No, that's alright!" (Y/N) laughed a bit, "Second door on your left," she pointed to the hallway.

I nodded and entered the room she told me, entering a plain room with just a bed and an end table. It had obviously just been cleaned, though the air remained stale. I placed my bag on the floor by the bed, rummaging through it until I found my discreet self defense tools. I still had my gun, tazer, pepper spray, baton, and handcuffs on my belt but I wanted to have weapons at the ready in any pocket just in case.

A couple years ago I made two "runaway" kits which were two identical duffel bags with 5 outfits, self defense kits, first aid kits, flashlights and extra batteries, toiletries, etc. It was in case I had an emergency and needed to run away somewhere. I kept one in my car and the other in my house, though until now I'd never actually had the need to use one. Now I was glad I went through all that trouble.

~~~
Word count: 883