XXII. Chaperones

"Friends?" she asked in disbelief.

"Yes."

Alice looked over to where Eva and Rachel were standing before she fixed a confused look at him. "You clearly expressed we cannot be friends."

Harold cleared his throat and shrugged. "I realized it is better than having no clear boundaries."

Alice scoffed. "My lord, I just made three new friends this season. Three is too much. Adding another, most particularly you, would be draining."

"We will always constantly be in each other's presence, Alice. We can be friends."

"Not for long."

"Whatever do you mean?"

Alice waved her hand to dismiss his question. She had no intention of announcing her decision to leave Wickhurst early.

"I wish you to be successful. I care for you," he added when she did not offer her answer.

"Successful in what?"

"Finding a husband, of course," he said, making her feel even more irritated.

"You will help me find a suitable husband?"

His emerald green eyes were unreadable as he nodded. "If that will make you happy."

"Are you doing this because you feel guilty?"

He blinked and she noticed him show a tiny sign of panic. "No."

"Then why are you doing this, my lord?"

"Because I admit I cannot just ignore your presence any longer. It proves to be harder than I thought. And since I cannot marry, you should at least find a husband better than me."

What a bloody idiot.

"And what if I want you?" she asked, tone challenging.

His face blanched. "Alice, you know..."

She so wanted to claw on his face, the bastard. But there was a better way than that.

Alice was aware that they would both merely suffer in this friendship. She would love to spare herself of it, but she would love to see his suffering nonetheless.

He was correct when he once said they could not be friends. Wickhurst had proven that very fact despite the long months of being apart.

She would love to witness how he would find his own statement to be true.

"Very well. Can you handle it?"

"Finding you a husband? Yes, I believe so."

"No, me being courted."

He blinked again. It took him longer to reply. "Yes, I believe so."

Alice sighed and shook her head. Eva and Rachel were not looking at their direction. "You know that this is a very odd conversation, yes?"

"I agree."

"Very well. How do you intend to be my friend?"

"Like a friend should be."

She nodded.

"No kissing."

"No touching."

"You will find me a husband. One that is better than you."

"Yes."

"Very well. I challenge you."

Harold nodded with determination. He smiled at her in a way that Alice wanted to put a hole through his face with her fist and kiss him at the same time.