chapter 6

It's been a few weeks since Esme was reunited with her parents and found out she was the legendary griffen. Esme and her parents had grown close. Her father made sure she started getting lessons on becoming a queen. He did tell her when the time came, she could marry who she wanted. Esme didn't really think much about boys yet. Esme's mother had shown her the kingdom. The Griffens in the kingdom were glad to have the young princess back. They decided to keep the part of her being the legendary griffen until the time of war would start.

One night, Gabriel and Arora were in bed. "We really need to tell her how the war will start" Arora said. "I agree. We probably should have told her when we found our she was the legendary griffen." Gabriel said. "I just hope it's not tonight" Arora said. "You've been saying that every night since we found out" Gabriel said. "Still. We need to tell her before it happens" Arora said holding her husband close. He kissed her head. "I have an idea. Why don't we write her a letter in case we can't tell her" Gabriel suggested. Arora thought it was a good idea. She went to the deck and found a blank scroll. She wrote down everything Esme needed to know about how the war will start. She even wrote that she loved her and wished they had more time. It may have been a "just in case" letter, but Arora still put her heart in it. When she finished the letter, she put it in a drawer that could only be unlocked with a password. She made the password, Esme.

It was now time for bed. Gabriel and Arora cuddled up with each other. The kingdom was silent. Not a single light was on. Esme was sound asleep in her room. Starblaze was asleep in his new room in the castle. Suddenly, a dragon, not Starblaze, entered the kingdom. He was a white dragon with big blue eyes. He was bigger than most dragons. "It's time to leave this kingdom without a king and queen. Then I'll rule this land. They don't even have a heir" the dragon thought.

The dragon found the window where Arora and Gabriel slept. He transformed into a bird. Only the dragon king had this ability. Starblaze would get it if he became king. But he didn't know that. The dragon king flew into the royal Chambers. The bird he turned into had a sharp beak. Almost like a knife. He started with the queen. Once she was done with, he did the king. Once he finished his work, he was satisfied. "Where's your legendary griffen now?" He laughed. He flew out the window. Ready to take the kingdom in a few days.

The next morning Esme woke up well rested. Her abilities have grown stronger over the last few weeks. She smelled something strange coming from her parents Chambers. She quickly raced to there room. She opened the door to find her parents killed. Their throats were slashed while they slept. "NOOOO!!!!!" Esme screamed. She went up to the bodies and checked thinking she was seeing things. Starblaze came flying outside the window and saw what Esme found. Esme cried and cried by her parents body. He knew exactly who did this for he knew the prophecy. He got mad. He wanted to chase his father, but he needed to be here for Esme. "NOO!" Esme screamed again. A guard came by and saw the body's. He went up to the crying princess. "Princess Esme" he started. They heard a lock unlock. It was the drawer. Esme went to it and found the scroll. Her name was on the outside of it.

She opened the scroll and saw it was written in her native language. But, she could understand it. It read,

My dear Esme,
If you are reading this, then the first part of the prophecy has started. The war is starting. They way it was to start was with the dragon king kills me and your father in our sleep. He doesn't know you are here. You and Starblaze must declare war on the dragon king. You are now the queen. I know you are still young, but there is no other choice. I wish we had gotten a chance to tell you this in person. I'm sorry we had to give you away as a baby. These last few weeks with you have been amazing. We love you Esme, stay strong and win against the dragons. You are the people's last hope now. The dragon king will attack first of you don't declare war as soon as possible. Stay strong. Me and your father will be watching over you. I love you Esme.
Love
Mom and dad.

Esme cried. But she knew her parents were right. The guard bowed to her. "My queen. We must bury your parents, quickly do your coronation, and declare war on the dragon king" the guard said. "Tell the kingdom of my parents death they can morn. And ask for any griffen willing to fight. My coronation can wait until after the war" Esme said. "Of course my queen" the guard said. the guard went in his Griffen form and went to the kingdom. Esme saw Starblaze outside the window. She opened the window and got on his back. "Pri.... Sorry, queen Esme, I'll fight along your side. My father must pay for this" Starblaze said. "I agree. Once he's dead, you will rule the dragons" Esme said. "Than my first act will be banning the hunting of humans. And instead hunting vampires. I have to admit, I have tasted human, but they weren't as good as vampire meat" Starblaze said.

The next day the king and queen we're laid to rest in the royal cemetery.  Esme was trying not to let her grief cloud her judgment. After the funeral, she sat on the throne to speak with citizens about the war. Most of the Griffens we're ready to face the dragons. They knew she was the legendary griffen once they saw a healed Starblaze. Starblaze got a messenger bird to send the declaration of war to his father. He knew he wouldn't attack unless he came by surprise.

Meanwhile the dragon king was getting ready for a surprise attack on the Griffens. He thought they would be shattered without a leader. He wanted to Force Griffens to hunt humans for the dragons. He wouldn't stop with the Griffens either, he would make it to where all mythological creatures would hunt humans. The messenger bird came to the dragon king. "a message? Let's see it" he said. The bird dropped the paper in the king's paw and flew away. The letter said,

King Haku,
You thought you killed the king and queen of the Griffens, well, you may have, but they did have a heir. This is my declaration of war. I am the legendary griffen you have heard about. I will stop you from taking this land. If you attack, we will be ready. This is now war.
Queen Esme of the Griffens

King Haku freaked. He had no idea they had a daughter. But he also knew she needed a dragon. He didn't know that she would have healing abilities. He laughed that she didn't stand a chance. He gathered as many male dragons as he could that were willing. Some dragons hated Haku and wanted to join the other side but they were afraid because they saw what he did to his own son. Haku and the dragons would attack in three days. He thought he had this match in the bag.