chapter 2

Summer had just started. Esme had just celebrated her 8th birthday. She was outside when she found something on the porch. She had never seen it before. It was a perfect round purple stone. She lifted it off the ground and he examined it. It wasn't just purple, it had her name on it. She was very confused. She ran inside. "Mom. Can I ask you something?" Esme asked Maria. "Sure, what is it?" Maria said. "Do you know why this stone had my name on it?" She asked handing her the stone. Maria looked at it. "I've never seen this before. Where did you get it?" Maria asked. "the porch. Where I was dropped off." Esme admitted. "Hm... Maybe I didn't notice it there before." Maria said. "What if it has something to do with my parents?" Esme asked. Maria looked at her. "Honey, what are you saying?" Maria asked. "A purple Stone with my name on it on the porch where I was dropped off? That can't be a coincidence. I bet my parents left it there for me to find. I have to find them" Esme said. Maria went silent. "What will I tell the school?" Maria asked. "Well, hopefully I can be back before school starts back up. But if not, tell them i took a trip. That's not lying." Esme said. Maria took a deep breath. "It could be dangerous" she said. "I have survival training. I'm sure I will be fine" Esme said. "alright. Summer did just start. Go a head and pack. And here, take this note to prove who you are" Maria said handing her the 8 year old paper. Esme knew about it because Maria showed it to her a few times. "thanks Mom. I'm sure I'll be back one day." Esme said. She gave her mom and went to pack.

She went to her room and packed what was needed. She wasn't sure how long she would be gone so she packed enough stuff for an entire year. She hoped she wasn't gone that long, but she didn't know.

Maria made sure to pack Esme enough food for that long. Luckily Esme wasn't a picky eater. Esme took a few days to pack for her journey. She honestly didn't know where to start.

Maria helped her make sure she had everything. She was sad to see Esme go. But she knew it would lead to Esme's parents. Maria even put some pictures of her and Esme.

So Esme gave Maria one final hug. "Be safe Esme." Maria said. "I will mom." Esme said. Esme grabbed the stone she found and took off. Esme honestly didn't know where to start. But somehow, the stone began to glow. When she turned one way, I the light dimmed. But when she turned another way, the light got more intense. She realized that the stone would guide her. She fallowed the light the stone was giving off.

Esme found her way to the woods. But not just any woods, the woods no one ever dared entered. There were supposedly mythical creatures that weren't that great to humans. The only ones who were nice were Merpeople, Griffen's, and elves. Esme knew she had to be careful. There could be vampires, werewolves, imps, and even dragons. Dragons were known to kidnap children to luer adults to eat.

She entered the woods. She could see some wild life like deer, rabbits, squirrels and bears. She was cautious about the bears. Esme didn't know if the mythical creatures really existed or if they just didn't like people in the woods.

An hour into her journey, she got hungry. So she found a nice safe place to build a fire for cooking. She made chicken that her mom packed for her. Esme knew she had to eat that first or it would go bad. She also made some macaroni and cheese with it. It was a good size lunch for her. Once she finished she put what she could back in her pack. She had a plastic bag she was using for trash.

Esme pushed though the thick woods. Esme knew how to hunt in case she wanted meet other than some leftover chicken. When night fell, she made a fire and set up her tent. She didn't know what exactly were in the woods but she knew leaving an light outside the tent might keep away predators.

Later that night she heard a twig snap outside of her tent. She went out and saw a man who looked really pale, had a dark cloak on, brown hair and eyes. Esme knew it was an vampire. "I knew I smelled something delicious" he said. Esme froze. She didn't know what to do. Then she reached for some garlic. The vampire laughed. "That's a myth the garlic is deadly to us. The only things that can kill us are werewolves, Griffen's and the sun" The vampire laughed. Esme got real scared. The vampire came closer to her. "I always tell my victims my name. Because, they become a vampire too. And you look like a perfect wife" he said. Esme stepped back. "I'm only 8!" She yelled. "You will still grow as a vampire until you are an adult." He said. He got close enough to her to grab her arm. "Don't worry. This will only hurt at first" he said. He went to her neck. "The name is Markus."  But as Markus was about to bite, he backed away looking freaked out. He turned into a bat and flew away. Esme thought that was weird.

Esme went back in her tent. She fell asleep on the hard ground.

-dream-
There was a beautiful castle Esme never been or heard of before. All around her were different mythical creatures that were the friendly ones. A Griffen came and looked shocked. She was lead into the castle.
-dream end-

Esme woke up with a start. She felt warmer than she was before. She looked out and saw she was no longer in the woods. She was in a tower where a dragon was sleeping 10 feet from her. She realized she had to find a way out so she could continue fallowing the trail to where the purple Stone was leading her. She just needed to escape.