Chapter 3

Alexa Jones was in high spirits as she crossed the court yard and entered the building where the Department of Psychiatry was located. She was looking forward to an evening she was sure would be the fabulous beginning of something even more amazing. She had bagged the date that essentially every single girl at this university would die for, probably some of the non-single ones and the gays too. To her knowledge, he had not dated anyone at all for well past six months, but this evening he was hers and he intended for him to stay hers. She would not waste this chance, he would realise what an exceptional catch she was. His true match in looks, mind and wealth.

She knew that she always was a gorgeous girl, yet she had spared no effort preparing for this evening and was dolled up to the nines. She had skipped all lectures after lunch and gone for a full manicure, pedicure, facial and waxing so she only had the perfect landing strip left. She knew exactly what she hoped would land there already tonight. Usually she kept them waiting at least until the third date, but this was special and she could hardly wait.

After the beauty salon she had continued to an appointment with the city's best hairdresser. Not that her long naturally blonde hair needed a haircut, but no one could wash and blow dry a hair to the same perfection as a pro and only the best was good enough for this occasion. At home, a brand new set of lace lingerie and a black dress bought especially for the occasion, had been waiting to wrap her toned body. She had finished off the look with a carefully applied makeup and a pair of heels to make her long well-shaped legs even taller. When she glanced in the mirror one last time before leaving, she looked sensational. She knew he would not be able to resist this. The only question was how long he would be able to keep his hands off her and how long she would make him plead for it.

The first time she had seen him was last year when he had held an unforgettable lecture for her class, replacing another teacher who were sick that day. What a replacement! She had not heard a word of that lecture, too busy admiring his handsome face, drowning in his brown eyes, fantasising about the promising shape of his torso underneath the shirt and tried to judge the size of what was sadly well-hidden under his jeans. The rest of the female audience had probably had thoughts along the same line, but she had decided then and there that she would have him one day. Afterwards she had done her research about him; Samuel James, PhD student, equally clever and athletic, apparently from a minted Bath family. Satisfied with the outcome she had made sure that their paths crossed every now and then.

She knew that he was bound to notice her sooner rather than later. He was definitely not the absent minded research type that was too common here, yet it had taken him surprisingly long to take the bait. In fact she had had to dangle it right in front of his nose by finally asking him if he would take her out on a date. He had looked surprised. Of course, even a dashing guy like him could probably not believe his luck when a girl like her asked him out. She could hardly believe that she had stooped to ask. She, who never had to ask, but sometimes the end justifies the means. He had accepted, naturally, but he had not looked as thrilled as could be expected. Probably he was too shocked and grateful. Now she planned to surprise him again. It was always good to keep men alert by adding the element of surprise, even if a pleasant one.

He had not suggested anything inventive for the date, just to go grab a beer and something to eat at the pub and she had tried to convince herself that she liked that he kept it low key. If he did not feel he had to go out of his way to try to impress her, it meant he was equipped with good self-confidence and that she liked because it usually meant a man was more assertive in bed. He had suggested they would meet outside the pub in half an hour, but she planned to go and pick him up at work instead. It would be a cute gesture and it would make people start talking about them. She liked the thought of the rumour mill being about them. He was not her teacher, so they had nothing to hide and the sooner everyone knew that he belonged to her, the better.