Chapter 1, Sheena

I'm cold.

  It was my first conscious thought after I came to. And then, I registered the darkness. But at least I could move again.

  Did I die? Apparently, that is the million-dollar question, to which, I didn't know the answer.

  Touching my chest, I felt threads and knots forming a Y shape on my skin, from my collar bone to the upper half of my stomach. The cut had healed. I pulled the threads out one by one, and felt the little holes they left behind healed, too.

  If this is hell, someone must have stitched me up after I died. How nice of them.

  I need a jacket. Or just any clothes, other than this paper robe. I tried to sit up, and realized that I was under some kind of...no, in a bag. A body bag. I reached up for the zipper, and tore the plastic open.

  I still couldn't see anything. I felt my way around this space, which was empty except for me. The walls and the floor were some kind of metal, and there was a constant sound of air blowing through vents.

  If I am right, I am in a refrigerated storage room. I don't think hell would use the package we came in to transport us, nor would it torture people with air conditioning.

  A wave of irrational fear boiled up from inside me, and I felt like I could scream. But no, of course I can't. Those scientists, they've taken my voice away from me. Where am I? What are they going to do to me? I have to get out of here. I need to...

  The fact that I feel more afraid to be alive than dead, would tell you something about me.

  I found a handle on one of the walls, but it was stuck. I banged on the wall, and hoped there was someone on the other side.

  No one answered.

  I kept on banging, harder and harder, feeling the numbness in my chest grew, and the pangs on the metal grew louder with it, till the point that the entire room shook.

  Finally, voices. "What is that?" I heard a man gasped on the other side of the door. "Bennett, go check on it."

  I banged the door again.

  The door opened after a series of footsteps, and I was flooded by light. "Oh my god!" Someone cried. I lashed myself towards the source of the sound; for a moment there, I must have thought that I could fight my way out of this.

  But, apparently not. There was a click, followed by another, and I was drowned in sound.

  Sound, was probably the only objective word I could tell you what White Noise was. Subjectively, it was like having knives pushed into your ears so hard that they pierced through your skull and came out the other side.

  In short, it sucked.

  I don't know what other kid's reactions to White Noise are, but it had always been twice the torture for me. Whenever I was hit by a White Noise from the outside, there was always a scream in my head, and it was screaming in my voice. I didn't know what that sound was before, and it seemed to have a will of its own.

  But now I know. It was my monster.

  It lives inside me, knows my body and how to use it better than I do. I had known about its existence almost since I knew about my ability, but it wasn't until very recently that I saw its full power unleashed—when it took over my body, and killed that scientist with my bare hands.

  So why didn't I die for that?

  My monster screamed in my head so loud that I couldn't see or hear or feel anything else, like it was taking the White Noise harder than I did. I felt the familiar numbness rising in my chest, clenching down my throat, crawling over the back of my skull, and I knew it was going to come out. I was losing control. No, no, no. Get back. Please, get back. Please don't... Don't make me do that again...