Chapter 18

The Dark One started at the young princess. Her future determined his own. Over the last eighteen years of Princess Emma's existence, the Dark One had experienced and had seen too much failure. The Evil Queen's failed curse sent him into a rage.  He had failed to convince the Charmings to free him from his cell, but later found a guard who dreamed of riches, and the Dark One had promised to turn straw into gold in return his freedom. He had failed to locate the Evil Queen after her demise. He had failed to get to a land without magic, where he believed his lost son was. 

Princess Emma was going to be the one to enact a Dark Curse he decided. Her magic that she was granted from being the product of true love and the symbol of hope was almost just as powerful as his own. He could wait a little longer until she had more control over her powers and to confirm that Emma and the pirate, Captain Hook were true love. Captain Hook and the Dark One had some unfinished business, so having him be the sacrifice in order to enact the dark curse was knocking out two problems with one stone. 

~

Emma stood in her room in front of the Dark One, the very man her parents had warned her about ever since she was little. He had just made her a deal, and every part of her wanted to say no, her parents would want her to say no, but this deal was different. She didn't owe him anything in return. Emma fidgeted with her fingers staring at him with great curiosity and fear. She didn't know if this was the right thing to do or not. But her heart was telling her what to do, as it normally did.

"Alright, Dark One. Tell me what you know." Emma said quietly, standing up a little straighter as she was confident in her answer.

"No need to be so formal," he said with a smirk and swiped his hand playfully at her. "Please, call me Rumplestiltskin."

"Okay, Rumplestiltskin. How can you help me?"

"Your parents know that their battle with the Evil Queen isn't over. They know she's in hiding waiting for some opportunity to strike." He giggled. "I've told them of a prophecy, one where the queen targets you instead," Rumplestiltskin said smiling and pointing a finger in her direction. "They thought it would be a brilliant idea to marry you off to a prince of another kingdom where they would take you away, to where you would be safe. For they know of no other way. Once the queen has you in her hands, that's when the darkness will strike. Everything will fall into place." He finished smirking and tapping his fingers lightly on her desk in which he stood nearby. 

"They should then know that marrying me off isn't going to stop the queen from finding me," Emma said concerned.

"They believe if they can get you out of the kingdom for a while until she is defeated that they are doing you a favor."

"What would be doing me a favor is telling me the truth," Emma said raising her voice. "I would be more than willing to fight by their side, I can take care of myself because they taught me how to. They need to trust me."

"Now the question is dearie, do you want to stay and marry the prince? Or run off with your pirate and travel the ends of the earth?" Rumplestiltskin asked, his grin and eyes seemed to be staring deep into Emma's soul. He was compelling.

"I'm running away with Captain Hook, and that's final. If the queen manages to get in my way, I'll take care of her myself." Emma said pointing a finger in his direction. She moved closer to where he stood at her desk by one of the big windows that decorated her room. Although it was dark, she could feel light on the horizon, and the light of hope not too far away. "The only one who decides my future is me."

"Very well, Princess. As for the second part of our "deal," I'll make sure that you're pirate makes it into the palace safely, but no more." The Dark One said with a slight chuckle.

"I knew there was a catch," Emma said glaring. However, she was still confused as to why he would come here to tell her this in the first place. Just to spread the truth? Or was there something more malicious to his presence? "You should go, Dark One. Before the king and queen realize you're here. They wouldn't be too happy."

"Well if the host insists. Remember if you ever want to strike another deal, I'll be listening." He responded with a grin before turning his hands, disappearing into a red cloud. 

Emma took a deep breath. There was so much going on, so many lies and secrets. This is why she had to go. She rearranged the letters on her desk for her parents and then ran into her closet and found a small fabric bag. Emma put money, books, and a few clothing items into the bag. She felt like she needed a few things from home to take with her on this journey she wasn't sure she was coming back from. She then reached for a box beside her bedside that held some of her most prized childhood possession and some small gifts. Emma pulled out the ring that Killian had given her on the chain and a necklace that her mother had given her. It was a simple silver medallion that her mother said had magical properties. It had been gifted to her mother by her father's mother before she had passed away. Emma put both the chains around her neck and tucked them into her simple light blue dress. She was ready. Ready to move on. 

Emma looked out to the window that faced the bay far in the distance. Soon, she thought. She would see him again soon. Emma lied down on her soft mattress her hands placed over the spot where the medallion and the ring sat on her chest and fell asleep, dreaming of a day where she is finally able to be herself. 

~

The Captain was cloaked as he followed behind the kitchen boy that was leading him into the castle. They would have to walk the whole way there so they wouldn't attract much attention. The night was cold and eerie, everyone stayed within their homes, even the taverns were quiet. Maybe this was just because everyone was in preparation for the royal wedding tomorrow, he thought. The two continued on for what felt like an eternity, through the endless woods that surrounded the Charming's palace. The two did not speak.

When the castle finally approached, Killian was in awe. He had never been to a place as magnificent, but he wasn't here to admire the architecture, he was here to rescue a princess. It was almost dawn by the time they made it to the kitchen's entrance. A guard stood nearby the door and the boy, Samuel tensed. Killian got the feeling that he wasn't normally there. They both took a deep breath and kept walking forward. Killian was expecting to get a glance or even attacked, but the guard kept his sight straight ahead. Something felt off, but he had hoped that this was somehow part of the plan. He followed Samuel through a small door that led right into the kitchens. Staff was everywhere around the kitchen, preparing cakes and appetizers for the wedding. They gave no glance towards him, Sam sighed and continued on through the kitchen and into a hallway. Killian was in the palace now, and in a few hours, the real challenge would begin.