24-The Chase

"Falcon, what happened?! Where is Frankie?" The moment Liam heard his phone ring and saw that it was their head of security, he knew that it was not a courtesy call. Liam felt cold dread when he heard that his fiancee was being taken to the hospital in and ambulance because of possible food poisoning.

"We're following the ambulance right now, Boss. Boar is there with Ms. Frankie. I'll send you the details." Liam nodded his head and stopped from walking when he remembered Luna.

"Where's my sister? Is she okay?" He walked towards the Study where his father and godfather were having a meeting.

"Yes. She's beside me on the car and she's on the phone right now with Boss Alejandro..." Liam's heart raced faster when he heard the gunshots and Falcon's instructions, "Shit! Idiots! Don't shoot at the ambulance!" He was shaking with anger when he realized what was happening.

"Tell me." Even without asking, Liam knew that the ambulance Frankie was riding was now the target of a car chase.

"Boar was shot and thrown out of the ambulance. We are now closely on its trail." Falcon also instructed the other security team in another vehicle to stop and tend to their fallen member.

"Send me the coordinates now! Make sure Francesca and my sister will not be harmed!" Liam dropped the call and cursed and gripped his hair with both hands in frustration. He was almost at the door when it burst open with Lance and Marco.

"Denaris and his team are on their way to intercept the ambulance. They had a meeting with Fantagio whose district is near the projected destination of the ambulance. They will be blocking all roads to prevent those fuckers' escape." Marco's expression was like that of a dangerous and deadly hurricane waiting to be unleashed. Lance was on the phone and updating Cassie who was picking up the Barrons at the airport.

"Luna is in transit and tailing them." He fears for his sister's safety especially now that she's pregnant.

"Alejandro is at the chopper right now and waiting for you. He already received clearance to fly. He'll be meeting with Falcon and Luna once the target vehicle has been secured. We just have to wait." Liam nodded and ran to the elevator that will take him to the helipad at the rooftop.

LUNA SCREAMED in horror when she heard two gunshots followed by a body being thrown out of the ambulance they were trailing. She was on the phone with Alejandro who was trying to calm her down while explaining the plan to retrieve Frankie.

She closed her eyes and recalled what happened in the past twenty minutes.

When Frankie lost consciousness, she called the security team and four of them barged inside to assist her. Two of their men seized the store's attendant who pleaded for his life when weapons were drawn as they saw the Mafia princess pale and unconscious.

"I called paramedics. They're already on their way." The young man who gave them the free ice cream whispered while two guns were pointed at his temple. It was Luna who agreed to let her best friend be taken to the hospital in an ambulance. In her panicked state, she only thought about the first aid treatment that could be given while they were in transit. She wanted to ride with her but Falcon insisted that one of their escorts go in her place because of her condition.

"Alej, the man from the ice cream store, he called the ambulance. He knows something."

"Yes. I'm sure he does. He should have been secured for questioning. I'll order someone to go back and seize him."

"I'm sorry. It was my instruction to leave him there. I was not thinking clearly. I just wanted for Frankie to be safe..."

"Shhh...Liam and I will be on our way to meet you. I'm here at the chopper now and just waiting for him. Just stay calm and stick with Falcon. Your safety is his top priority." If only she could find solace in his comforting words, the pain she was feeling would be lighter but the weight of what happened was too much for her.

"Alej, it was supposed to be me. She saved me." Luna started sobbing. She remembered how she charmed Frankie into tasting the ice cream before her. All warning bells were turned off just because she was happy and thought they were safe.

"Don't blame yourself. We'll get them and Francesca will be safe. She's tough. I'm sure she'll pull through. Stop crying, Baby. Liam is here now. I need to go. I love you. Please stay safe."

"You too. I love you." The call ended at the same time that their car was only a meter away from the ambulance. The shootings stopped when their enemies realized, after several tries of firing at them that the car that Luna was riding was bulletproof. Falcon also ordered to stop the crossfire since Frankie might get hurt.

"Stork, stay back. The other teams will intercept at the next stoplight before we reach the busy roads. It's Fantagio's area." Falcon ordered the driver. She knew the streets well enough to know that after the stoplight crossing, they will be approaching the district where traffic was always terrible. An ambulance has an excuse to cut traffic. How are they supposed to extract Frankie from that vehicle? She heard Falcon issue a series of instructions in Italian to the other car tailing them.

The moment they reached the stoplight, they stopped as all hell broke loose. Two black SUVs crossed the road simultaneously from opposite directions and blocked the ambulance. Another black Cadillac which Luna recognized as Denaris' drove in at full speed from the north side of the street towards the ambulance. It swerved to the right and drifted towards the front of the vehicle where Frankie was held captive. The tires screeching into a halt while the men from the ambulance fired mercilessly. There was no other movement and sound aside from the clicking sound of guns from the enemies and the ambulance's tires and siren lights exploding. From where they were situated, Luna saw that the shots came in front, from Denaris' car.

The shooting ceased and that was the time that six men dressed in black suits from each of the two SUVs got off and ran towards the target. When they opened the door, Luna could not see if her best friend is safe. She was about to get off from the car to go to Frankie but the driver locked the door, preventing her from getting off. She was about to complain when she heard two silenced shots as the man beside her went limp and his blood splattered to her face and clothes. The car she was riding reversed in full speed. Luna felt nauseated especially when the driver who she thought was Stork, removed a strip of black from his upper lip, took off the hood of his jacket and faced her as their car sped off in reverse and into another alley. Luna uttered a name before she passed out.

"Diana?"

***A/N: shocked? Thanks for reading!