Chapter 29- It makes sense now

"Dad was gay"

Russia spitted the vodka out of his mouth. "HE WHAT?!". Ukraine was getting uncomfortable but tried to be sympathetic about it. "Tak (yes).. I don't know what got to him. He had a realationship with mum, so I don't know what the f*ck happened". Russia placed the bottle of vodka on the nightstand so it wouldn't spill and sat at the edge of the bed. He stayed silent, because he was so lost and confused that he couldn't think of something to say. He felt sad, betrayed. Not because he father was gay, no. Because he would kill every human who was. He even warned his children that if he learned that they had feelings for someone who was the same gender as them, he would kill them aswell. They were terrified. They stayed like that for a few minutes, until Russia was ready to speak. "How did you find out?". Ukraine hated that question. She really didn't want to answer it. "I don't think I want to answer that". "Why not? Did you walk on them having..ehm.." "What the f*ck? No! Ew" "Then?". "Russia come on now, I am not in a state to talk about childhood trauma right now". "I know, I know.. At least tell me if he was with someone". "As far as I know, he was. I don't how the hell he kept it a secret from us all these years, but he magically did." "Who was he with? If you know, that is". Ukraine rubbed her nose. "You are asking difficult questions." "Sorry? I just want to understand the situation." "I get that, but it's really hard to talk about it you know" "I do.". Russia lowered his head, because he thought he would never learn what happened with his father. Ukraine saw that, she felt guilty. She groaned and sat on the bed next to Russia. "Get you pop corn and sh*t, it's story time". Russia's face lit up. "For real?" "Yes. Now shut up, because this will be extremely hurtful for me." "Aaw. Do you need comfort?" "No!". Russia eyerolled.

"It was a few years after World War 2 had ended. I was smaller than 10 years old. We didn't have school that day for whatever reason, so we were all free that day, or at least from school. He told us to clean the house, as he watches TV all day, as usual. He specifically told me to clean the basement. Swipe the floor, replace the lightbulb if it's burned out and throw away useless stuff so we could have more space. I opened the light, the lightbulb was fine. I decided to throw away some stuff first and then clean, because it would make life easier. We had somewhat 50 boxes full of stuff and I had to go through all of them. I don't remember how much time it took, but it looked like I was finished. I took a last look around the place to see if any boxes were left. I would think the job was done if I hadn't taken a look behind the staircase that led to the basement. Behind it was a fairly small box. Not really small, just a little smaller than the average box. I took a second look at it and it was taped a hundred times. Almost like the person who taped it didn't want people to be able to open it. I got a knife from the kitchen and ripped the tape. I opened the box and inside it were multiple hand-written letters, a rotten bouquet with what could only be red roses, and.. a ring. A kind of ring that you'd give to your lover after you'd propose to them. I took the papers out of the box to read what they were about..."

Ukraine seemed really upset and her breathing got uneasy. "It's okay, breathe. Take your time, I know it's hard." Russia said and petted ger back. "No, I'm fine". She whipped her eyes even though she wasn't tearing up or anything.

"I took the first paper. I checked the date and it was almost a decade old. I was pretty sure we wouldn't need these papers, but I still read them. How f*cking stupid I was. I read all of it, it was Russian. Not really good, but you could read it and understand what it was about. It was.. a love letter. Someone was confessing their love to dad. First I though it was one of mum's old letters, but then I checked at the name."

She paused. "Who wrote it?" Asked Russia, worried. "I don't think you're ready for this. I don't even know if I'm strong enough to say it. "You are. You are strong enough to do this, and I am prepared for the worst, okay?". Ukraine turned away from him. "I don't know Russia. It's really f*cking up" "F*cked up or not I want to know who dad has been wi-" "It was Third Reich." Russia just stared. What. In. The. F*ck?! "Ч-что (what)?". "I told you it's f*cked up. I am not kidding you Russia. Our father, who was known for hating that bastard the most, and told us to stay away from him, was with... him!". She slammed her fists on the bed, while Russia was trying to hold himself from screaming.

Fast forward a couple of minutes later, things had calmed down a bit. Russia was mentally destroyed, but wanted to know the full story. What the rest of the letters said, how Ukraine reacted back then and just what happened in general. "If you are ready, please continue." "Are you sure? You've been through a lot today" "I can take a few more hits". Ukraine sighed "Whatever you say captain.

I was so confused. This was going against all of dad's beliefs. But then I thought that Third Reich could just be crazy and wrote that on his own, so I quickly checked out the rest of the letters. I lost all hope letter after letter. From what I remember, he sent USSR letters to discuss about where they should meet, when, what they'd do and stuff. It was like modern texting, just only one-sided. Apperantly they couldn't talk on the phone because someone could hear them and they'd get caught. The last letter was sent a day before Reich attacked us. I think it said something in the terms of 'It has to be done. I will win' and all that crap. I sadly don't know where the ring came from. Maybe dad wanted to propose? I don't know."

Russia thought Ukraine was done. "Damn. I never thought our own dad could do this to us.". "I know, that asshole. Anyways, then I-" "Wait there is more?". "Yes, dumb*ss.

I put everything back in the box. I wanted to ask dad about this. How foolish and naive I was! I knocked on his room's door.  He told me to come in, so I did. Once he saw the box I could tell he tensed up. I placed the box infront of him. I asked him what it was, but did not say what I saw inside. He nervously opened the box and took a look inside. His face paled, and I was really nervous about how he'd react. He asked me where I found the box, still searching through it. I said I found it under the basement's staircase, like I actually did. Then, he put the box aside and looked at me in the eyes. I knew I was in trouble but didn't want to saw him that I was scared. He asked me if I read any of the letters. I-I didn't know what to say. I knew I'd get in big trouble if I lied, but I'd probably get in even bigger if I told the truth. I couldn't help it though, I was a little kid. I said yes, and his eyes lit on fire.

Ukraine gently placed her hands around her throat.

"He grabbed me by my neck and lifted me up.. 'What have I told you about searching through my stuff?' He yelled at my face, while still choking me."

Russia then understood why Ukraine had marks on her neck. She had weird marks all over her neck since she was a kid, and now Russia knew why. He felt horrible. Discusted.

"I said sorry and that I wouldn't do it again. He threw me on the floor. He threatened me that if I ever told anyone, he'd break my jaw and leave me there to bleed to death. I said that I'd never do such thing. I was too scared to ever do it to be honest. After a few moments he decided what he'd do with me. He told me I'd only be able to eat every 2 days for two months and will do all the house work for a whole year. I didn't even try to say no, I didn't want to get him more mad than he already was. Then, he- . . . Remember the time where I had to go to hospital because I had broken my skull and neck?"

Russia didn't realise that she asked a question right away, but when he did he answered imedietly. "Yes. Dad said you accidentally fell down the stairs.". Ukraine started laughing, but honestly it felt more like crying than laughing. "Let's just say.. it wasn't stairs who broke my skull and neck." She said and closed her eyes to stop the tears. "That's why you had bruises all over your body?!". She nodded. "Excuse me for a second." She stood up and went downstairs to take a tissue. Russia had completely lost it. He didn't know if he could even call USSR 'dad' again. But then something interrupted his thoughts. It was his phone, ringing. He took it out of his pocket and checked the number. He didn't recognize it. He picked up.

"Hello? Who is this?"

Shuffling could be heard from the other line, but then it stopped and a familiar voice spoke.

"Hi, this is Japan"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I felt bad for leaving you like this, okay? 😂 I just hope this 'cliffhanger' isn't as intense as the other ones and I hope you can wait 2 weeks for it to continue, if needed. Also I so want to make the luff story between Reich and Soviet a book. Like, my destiny. Tell me if it's a good idea 👌👌. Do I have to say something else? I hope not. See you in the next chapter!

Αντίο! (I'm tired af I worked all day for dis)