EPILOGUE

TWO MONTHS LATER

Two months later and the pain hasn't gone away. I knew it wouldn't anytime soon. The mention of Jim or anything related to him at all would send me off on another emotional rollercoaster – which is exactly was these last two months have been.

Right after it was all over, El and I moved in with the Byers'. It was a tight squeeze at first which made it difficult for everyone to grieve. Joyce especially. She would never show it but after she put us to bed and turned the lights off, I often heard her son to herself. And my heart broke thinking about her and her tragical luck with romance. I still blamed myself for what happened to Bob – even more so with these new powers. If I could turn back the clock, I would. I would've done anything to not hear her cry herself to sleep at night.

It wasn't long before Joyce decided that it was time for a fresh start. Time to get out of Hawkins. I completely understood why but I didn't want to go. Neither did El, Will or Johnathan for that matter but us kids got together in secret and thought it'd be best for Joyce that we did. As the 'for sale' sign was hammered into the front lawn, a smile appeared on Joyce's face. That's when I knew this was the right decision.

A few days later, I found the letter from my birth mother as El, Will and I cleaned our shared bedroom. Doctor Owens confirmed that creepy stalker lady was in fact my mother, Debbie Coleman. He told me this not long after Jim disappeared, therefore I wasn't too interested in anything he said. I had never actually given her a second thought. Jim was the only thing that clouded my mind.

Melanie,
I have wrote this letter numerous times and I still cannot find the right words for you. I'll start off by introducing myself, I suppose: My name is Deborah Coleman though I preferred to just be called Debbie. I am your 'birth mother'. I'm sure you have many questions to ask or none at all, either way, I just want to apologise for being uneasy and maybe slightly creepy when we first met. I was never good with people or confrontation. I've always been an anxious person, especially when I found out I was having you. You see, I wasn't married and I was brought up in a strict, catholic household. My family didn't take too well to that. After you were born, I was emitted into a psychiatric hospital and I was there for twelve years. After I was released, I managed to track down Doctor Owens who told me I could find you in Hawkins. Now I see that it was wrong of me to turn up unwanted and uninvited but maybe this letter can help? I just wanted to explain everything to you. I'd love to speak to you in person or just over the phone. Even if it's just for a moment. I completely understand if you don't contact me.
Below is my number and my address. I live in a small town outside Toledo, Ohio.
Debbie.

Without Joyce knowing, I took the three hour drive to Debbie Coleman's house outside Toledo with Steve Harrington a few times. The visits would be quick but I got to know Debbie and it became clear to me that she was just a miss-understood old soul. She was the only "real" family I had left so I didn't shut her out. She'd been through a lot, and she knew I had too.

Joyce eventually caught on to my secret day-cations to Ohio and wasn't pleased at Steve for accompanying me but she softened up once I explained it to her.

The last time I visited Debbie, she told me I could stay with her once the Byers' house was sold. A few months ago would've never considered leaving Hawkins at all, never mind myself but things were different now and no matter who I stayed with, I'd still be leaving Hawkins.

Before I made my decision about moving, Steve and I were about to begin another road trip to Ohio when Dustin Henderson jumped out onto the middle road and Steve had to perform an emergency stop.

"Jesus, Henderson!" Steve yelled out in anger, as we both got out the car, "I could've killed you!"

"But you didn't!" He smiled then his expression changed as he turned his attention to Mel, "Now, Melanie, you can't leave Hawkins!"

Like I said, I hadn't made my decision yet, but rumours seemed to be suggesting otherwise, "Why not?"

"Because you belong here."

I truly didn't feel like I belonged in Hawkins without Jim, but I still didn't want to leave, "No, I don't. Not without..."

"Please don't go. We'll miss you... I'll miss you." He mumbled as it turned into a whisper but I still heard his shy confession.

"You'll miss me?"

"Yeah, you're like my best friend and after everything— just... Please don't leave me." Just seeing Dustin struggling to find words and rambling was enough to make me feel guilty about even considering leaving.

Before I could respond, Steve butted in, "This is the cutest shit ever."

"Steve! Language." I told him off sternly as he backed off, surrendering.

"So... Will you stay?"

THE END