CHAPTER ONE: WELCOME HOME

"Come on, guys!" I called out for Eleven and Mike, pounding on the door of our shared bedroom. Of course, I wasn't allowed in when Mike was here.

Hopper then strolled away from the kitchen to the couch with a bag of chips as he rubbed his eyes in discomfort, "Don't pound on the door please, Mel."

"Well, I'm not missing Dustin's surprise party just because they want to kiss all summer." The kissing was getting bad. It was constant.

"Kissing?" His eyebrows shot up in almost disbelief.

"Obviously. What do you think they're doing?" I frowned. Was he really as naive as he looked?

"I don't know. Talking?"

I paused for a minute, allowing him to hear the silence, "I don't hear any talking."

"Right," Jim mumbled before getting up and opening the door catching the pair red handed. "Hey!" He yelled. Before he could do anything else, Eleven slammed the door in his face. "El, open this door!" Then he began pounding on the door while I just stood there shaking my head. He had no idea how to handle two teenagers - not including me.

I don't know how but El, Mike and I managed to meet up with the others at Dustin's house just on time. Dustin must've been unpacking or something in his room while his mom let us in to surprise him. We all hid in the living room, trying not to blow our cover by giggling. I couldn't wait to see his reaction. Mike sent El a nod then brought Dustin's toys alive. El lead the toys down the hall as Dustin followed. We could hear him approaching cautiously. El cut the power off in the toys when he reach the living room. We all creeped out from our hiding places while his back was turned. Lucas brought out his 'Welcome Home Dustin' poster for Max and himself to hold. Max counted "One...Two...Three..." then we all yelled, "SURPRISE!"

Dustin, who was caught immediately off guard, screamed at the top of his lungs and sprayed his hair spray can to the person who was now standing directly in front of him: Lucas.

"Jesus, Dustin!" Mike told him off.

"I'm sorry, Lucas. Man, you guys really got me."

"I'm gonna go wash this out." Lucas told us, trying to wipe the spray out his eyes.

"How was camp?" I asked him with a bright smile. I couldn't hide the fact that I was happy he was back.

"Great. Spectacular. Come here, I wanna show you guys things I made." He replied before leading us into his room. It felt like I hadn't been in his room in so long. I guess I really missed him.

He showed us a couple of his gadgets that looked somewhat interesting. I could tell Mike wasn't too interested. Will thought they were cool and El seemed cautious of them. "But this..." Dustin got our attention again by opening up another duffle bag, "this is my masterpiece." He was pretty proud of this one, "I'd like you to meet Cerebro." I won't like, it did look like a bag of computer parts.

"Cerebro." I repeated.

Mike squinted his eye, "What exactly are we looking at here?"

"An unassembled one-of-a-kind battery-powered radio tower!" He exclaimed. I didn't really know what it was. Something to do with radios, I guessed.

"So, it's a ham radio." Will pointed out.

"The Cadillac of ham radios," He grinned, "This baby carries a crystal-clear connection over vast distances. I'm talking North Pole to South." Now, that sounded cool. At least it did to me. "I can talk to my girlfriend whenever and wherever I choose." Girlfriend. I could see everyone suddenly got interested in what he was talking about. Now I was the one that wasn't interested.