The Delinquents - chpt. 12

The Delinquents

Chapter Twelve

            "If you're not down here in five minutes than we are leaving without you," Evan shouted from the base of the staircase. I hitched my backpack higher onto my shoulder and tucked the ends of my hands into the sleeves of my hoodie before trudging down the stairs and joining Simon, Derek and Gabe at the front door.

            Evan smiled at me tentatively, his eyes still warmed with pity. "How are you doing, Piper?" I didn't answer him. I hadn't exactly answered any questions since I learned my mother was dying and I wouldn't be there for her last moments.

            Gabe rolled his eyes beside me. "Obviously she's not doing okay, Evan."

            Evan was too focused on me to show his annoyance for Gabe's comment. "I'm here, whenever you need me." I forced myself to smile but the action burned my face and stung my eyes.

            The sound of a heavy thud drew the attention away from me and to the stairs. Lily was struggling with a large suitcase, trying to keep it upright as she pulled it down the steps. Simon took a step towards helping her but one foul glare and he returned to his previous spot.

            "You're not going to need all that, Lily," Evan said, "It's just an overnight camping trip. One night. What could you possibly need for one night?"

            Lily glared at everyone as her suitcase tumbled down a few steps and she struggled to regain its balance. "Why don't you all start packing the van instead  of watching me with those dumb expressions?"

            "Have you seen Keegan?" Evan asked. My ears picked up at the sound of his name and my eyes lifted when I heard his footfall on the top stair.

            "Here," Keegan grunted, rucksack in hand.

            Keegan and I hadn't spoken much. I hadn't mentioned what Travis told me about his past and he hadn't mentioned my mother dying. We didn't stay apart though. We spent almost every moment together, just in silence.

            Keegan clambered down the stairs and took his spot at my side, one hand sneaking to twine his fingers through mine. I squeezed his hand and then let go to walk towards the van outside.

            Gabe claimed the front seat, ignoring Evan's protests. Simon and Lily claimed the two bucket seats which left the back bench to Derek, Keegan and myself. I sat in between them, pressing my hands into my thighs and squeezing my knees together.

            Gabe and Lily fought over the radio station for the first half an hour of the ride while Simon tried his best to sleep. Both Derek and Keegan were very still and quiet, barely breathing. I felt tension along the lines of my neck and shoulders and tried my best to relax with no avail.

            "Just pick a station!" Keegan snapped, growing frustrated with the constant give and take between Gabe and Lily.

            Lily glared ferociously at Gabe. "Everyone likes pop, Gabe," she told him, "Metal isn't a crowd favourite."

            Gabe rolled his eyes. "Rock and roll is not the same as metal."

            "For the love of―" Keegan began.

            "No music," Evan declared, switching off the radio. "We'll just ride in silence."

            This didn't help the tension in my shoulders.