The Delinquents - chpt. 6

The Delinquents

Chapter Six

        "It's getting kind of dark, should we go back?" Keegan and I were still walking through the woods. We had lapsed into silence though-a comfortable one-and it felt almost wrong to ruin it with words.

        Keegan raised an eyebrow at me. "Scared of the dark?"

        I laughed but felt my throat close up a little. "Not really, I mean kind of."

        Keegan laughed, it was a low rumble. Like thunder. "Seriously? The dark?"

        "I'm not afraid of it," I protested, "I'm just uncomfortable in it."

        Keegan shrugged, "I kind of like the dark, it's like a blanket or something."

        I chuckled, "Odd analogy but I'll take it." Once again we were silent as we walked. "What's in these woods anyways?" It was hard not to feel the itch of paranoia run up my back as I looked at the twisted branches in the dark. Anything could be waiting around the next tree.

        "The worst I've seen is a mountain lion, but it was really old and kind of fat. I don't think it would be that much of a challenge." Just hearing the word lion made me inch towards him a bit. "So, you and Derek?" Keegan's voice was light, casual as if discussing the weather.

        I shrugged, "Nah, not really. He just gave me a sweater."

        Keegan's smile was tinged with sadness. "Derek doesn't just give away his clothes."

        I frowned, "I just..." I drifted off, not knowing what to say exactly. I mean, sure I had found Derek attractive when I first met him. But there was something about Keegan that drew me to him like a magnet.

        "I think Travis has a crush on you," Keegan said with a lopsided grin. "Actually, come to think of it most of the guys have been talking about you."

        I shrugged, "It's just because I'm new here, the novelty will wear off."

        "I wouldn't be too sure," Keegan mumbled. I couldn't pretend to be nonchalant about the topic of my attractiveness so I tried to change the subject.

        "Can we play twenty questions or something?" I asked.

        "No," Keegan grunted.

        I frowned, "Why not?"

        "Because you're too curious," he said.

        I sighed, "Can we talk about something then?"

        "Just enjoy the silence." I was able to remain silent for about five minutes before I had to speak again. It was hard for me to focus on the sounds of the forest when I was afraid the forest was going to grab my ankle or attack me or paralyze me.

        "I'm sorry, but I just feel like absolute silence is suffocating," I said.

        Keegan laughed, "You were pretty quiet your first day here."

        "That was because I wasn't comfortable with who I was around," I told him.

        He smirked, "So you're comfortable around me then?"

        I felt heat rush to my cheeks and opened and closed my mouth a few times before I could speak. "I-well yeah, I guess so." I wasn't sure if that was true.